Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know much about this jazz bass?

BASainty

Iv been having a peak round Gumtree and I came across this 70's jazz bass, Iv never heard of the name and they are asking for £180 for it. Does anyone know anything about it and would it be worth a punt for £180?

The link is [url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/jazz-bass-guitar/110873852#gallery-item-full-2"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/jazz-bass-guitar/110873852#gallery-item-full-2[/url]

If its any help, it looks a lot like my old Eros ( not E-Ros) Which I bought in 73 for £69. I think they were imported by Rosetti and made by Matsumoku. They were out on a few different names. Mins has soapbar humbucker looking pups, but you cant see whats on that one.

I still have it, and it still plays and sounds great, lovely growly blues sound, Plays better than some of the Fenders I've tried. A bit heavy though.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

CMI were a brand from some company... the same guitars could be found with CLS branding... and imnotbassassinbutprettysure came from the factory that made cimars... so there is a link to ibanez there. This looks late 70's - ply body probably heavy - and for under 80 i would consider it.
Bare in mind that a vintage modifed squier is about £150-180 secondhand and i've just stuck up a japanese BB300 for 120 in a hard case... and no this isn't such a great deal unless it plays great.

My first bass was exactly like that (plywood, sunburst-tort-rosewood-blocks), but had 'Satellite' on the headstock. Same tuners, same knobs, etc.

I paid £50 for it in McGranes (no longer there) in Leeds in 1989. I think it was just about worth £50.

I wouldn't pay £180 for one now, given the quality of Squiers you can get for that money.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1348233033' post='1811195']
If its any help, it looks a lot like my old Eros ( not E-Ros) Which I bought in 73 for £69. I think they were imported by [b][s]Rosetti[/s] [/b]and made by Matsumoku. They were out on a few different names. [/quote]

Dunno what I was thinking of, should have said Rose Morris. Mine wasnt plywood, its a one piece body made of some sort of orange coloured wood. The headstock is made of two pieces of what looks like maple.

Back the £69 with a hard case was expensive but bearable, (a new Fender Precision was £125 in the same shop)a weeks wages was probably around £30, but £180 now.... Hmm

You could get something with a better name probably. But I still love mine

Edited by BILL POSTERS