Why become a member? ×

Lesson with Jake - feedback

sarah thomas

I've just had a 2 hour lesson with Jake Newman from this forum and want to tell all Cardiffians and those nearby that Jake makes regular forays to the south and west of Wales and is open to giving lessons in this area. I think he's great. He helped me to explain what I wanted from the lesson and went on to deliver in shedloads.

I particularly wanted to look at posture and technique because I get loads of musical theory and tunes hurled at me but little advice on practicalities. So, after a few minutes chat he played my bass to check it out and to open my ears to how very good it could sound when played well. Then I played a line I've been working on and he watched from in front, behind and to the side. Straight away he gave me great advice and straight away my sound improved.

He's a very approachable and experienced teacher who has a genuine interest in his students and the two hours with him was money extremely well spent. He has given me a set of ideas to apply which are like tools to work with. To be honest, it's a relief. It's a long, hard slog on your own and to have Jake's help, guidance and direction feels like a weight has been lifted. So, I'm adding my voice to the basschat chorus of approval for jake newmanbass. Yey!

• 2 weeks later...