Why become a member? ×

Powerballs (oo err missus)

gapiro

Utterly non-bass related, but I was getting a great deal of RSI from constant computer work, and my wrists started doing carpal feeling cramps at one point, so i bought a powerball, and using it reeeaaaalllly slowly for about 10 minutes a day really did help. Which meant all my non bass related injuries stopped getting in the way of my bass playing. :)

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1348396645' post='1813032']
My guitarist friend has got one of those powerball things (the gyroscope wrist strengtheners things)
He [i]claims [/i] it made a huge difference to his wrist strength and helped him with guitar speed.

I'm a bit sceptical (he talks a lot of crap) so I thought i'd ask the BC population of their thoughts

(link to the sort of thing I mean: [url="https://www.powerballs.com"]https://www.powerballs.com[/url] )
[/quote]

(he talks a lot of crap) this :D

better off with these

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348418324' post='1813392']
For playing bass,Powerballs,Gripmasters and the like are not going to help. You don't need strong hands
or wrists to play bass. For every minute you spend playing with one of them is a minute that would be
better spent playing your instrument,which would be more beneficial to your playing.
[/quote]

Amen.
My day job is very physical. I do not want for strength in my hands at all. In fact, I struggle to achieve the required speed/deftness/lightness of touch in my right (dominant) hand. No issues with my fretting hand, mind.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1348438343' post='1813733']
I had one for Xmas 4yrs ago. I used it for about 5mins for each hand for about 6 months. I didn't notice any significant change, but that wasn't the reason why I stopped using it. I looked like a pleb using it and folks were taking the mick out of me!

Not as bad as this bloke though...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0v05iaYZC0&sns=em[/media]
[/quote]

If this thing is not a w@nk trainer, I don't know what is! :lol:

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1348476361' post='1813905']
As pointed out above by "risingson", endurance (stamina) and dexterity are what's needed. The former is best achieved by gradually building up your playing time on the bass.
[/quote]

I couldn't offer you any more than conjecture concerning the science behind it and I'm definitely no expert, but I noticed a marked improvement in my ability to play far more dextrously after extended weeks at the gym. Your muscles do have the ability to 'endure' extended exercise after training, so by extension there is no reason at all to assume that this premise couldn't be carried through to the act of playing a bass guitar or even drums as well, which requires a degree of upper body strength also.

Edited by risingson