Why become a member? ×

Amp and cab question

gub

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I confess watts ,ohms , and all confuses the hell out of my little brain !
I have an orange terror 500 head which ATM run in to a trace Elliot 2x10 8 ohm 300 watt cab , all seems fine but would like a bit more power for the larger gigs we do and have seen a 115 trace Elliot cab also rated the same as the one I am using now , would this be a good match s an extension cab do you think ?
Ta in advance folks ;) Gav

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1348408170' post='1813217']
I'd get another 8 ohm 210 but if you have to have the 115 it will be fine.
[/quote]

me too, that would be my choice..and maybe lighter/smaller....but the 15 will be ok...
I've had some great sounds out of 210 plus 115 and if the cabs are matched, I am sure it will work really well...

The benefit of having the same 210 again is that, as well as the techie stuff about speaker excursion etc, for rehearsals you can use 1 cab, for gigs when you need more sound/power, you can then use the 2.

Whereas with the 210 & 115 set-up - which usually works very well - for "your" sound, you are then dependent on using both cabs all the time. This can take some of the fun away from it all, having amp, 2 cabs, bass, leads etc to carry to rehearsals every time. And 115s are usually rather heavy.