Why become a member? ×

new rig (got a few q's)

0175westwood29

hi guys

well basically as the title says today i have finally gone from one extreme to the other!

about 8 months ago i was rocking the rig below!

aguilar db750 and 610hlf, awesome sounding rig but was very big! ended up needing to sell the aggie due to money probs and went for a markbass lmt, but the 610 was really a bit to big for my needs so traded it with bc's very own thornybank for a couple of old school trace elliot cabs.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:115857]

really liked this rig actually, was much easier to move, but alas i sadly was up late and while watching a marcus miller concert started to check out some swr stuff! which led to watching some smv videos and seeing victor wooten harke rig last night before i took a trip to mansons in exeter to go nuts and try out alot of bass cabs!

and ive come home with this little beauty to go underneath my swr headlite!

the hydrive cab was so impressive, really crisp clear high's and i cant get over how good the lows are! sounded really sweet with the headlite. its switchable between 4 and 8 ohms and the tweeter is really nice, and as you can see from the pic its pretty damn small! easy one hand lift! its really loud aswell! and also tested it out with a 15 underneath sounded sweet so not in a manic rush to sell my 1153.

however i cant stop myself wanting to get a second but as i said no rush!

now i see what you guys out there with 2x112 rigs are on about.

Andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1348688510' post='1817014']
Nice little rig! What is the Hydrive 112 like?

Nice bass as well. Oly White Modulus?
[/quote]

the 112 is really nice i wasnt sure if the aluminium cone would add much but it really does! alot of bass and a really clean top end! very happy indeed.

indeed it is! well it was its ageing nicely to a more creamy white. awesome bass!

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

• 2 weeks later...

as you can see from my sig im currently entertaining the idea of getting a barefaced cab once i find one, however i really like the eq and compressor on the headlite.

but seeing as 400w isnt really enough to drive a big baby if i decide to get on ive got a few q's

1, does the headlite need a load to run safely?
2, the pre amp out says that its after the master volume, does that also mean the compressor?
3, if it is after the compressor can i put this into a power amp of say 600/700w thats not to heavy and drive the big baby using the eq i like from the swr?

andy

I may be wrong on this, but don't swr do an amplite that can run with the headlite? I think the amplite is 400w also, so it should give you 800w total.
Also the barefaced cabs use really high sensitivity drivers so it won't take as much wattage as you would think to drive them properly. Check out their website as the do publish the tech data and provide a recommend amp power value ie between 150-1200w as opposed to a rating for the cab itself.

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1350675045' post='1842282']
I may be wrong on this, but don't swr do an amplite that can run with the headlite? I think the amplite is 400w also, so it should give you 800w total.
Also the barefaced cabs use really high sensitivity drivers so it won't take as much wattage as you would think to drive them properly. Check out their website as the do publish the tech data and provide a recommend amp power value ie between 150-1200w as opposed to a rating for the cab itself.
[/quote]

a very common mistake, the amplite is a seperate poweramp you cant combine it with the headlite to make more watts.

so at 8 ohms the amp will be giving 320w or somewhere around there which alex said wnt drive the big baby properly so im wondering what kinda poweramp would drive it properly im guessing something around 500-600w?

hoping to maybe try a few barefaced cabs out soon.

andy

No worries,
Although this what is on the swr site about the headlite

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]The legendary SWR® tube preamplifier meets Class D power amp technology in this groundbreaking new product! The SWR headlite™ is a 3.8 pound (1.7 kg), 400 watt dynamo that delivers the tonal clarity SWR amps are famous for, as well as an astonishingly thunderous low-end response for such a diminutive package. But don't let the size fool you - this is a fullfeatured professional quality bass amplifier! Ideal as a stand-alone amp in a head/speaker rig or partnered with the amplite™ - a matching 400-watt power amplifier - in a multiple power amp rig, the headlite is an extremely versatile performance tool for stage or studio. The headlite includes a handy accessory bag designed for a headlite, an amplite and all the necessary cables €€œ or it can be rack-mounted in 1/2 rack space with the optional rack-mount kit [/size][/font][/color]

However there is always the markbass mb1000 power amp, 1000w @ 8ohms (bridged).

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1350729457' post='1842726']
I've used my Markbass F1 through a Barefaced Super 12 T when tuned down to A and it was monstrous!
[/quote]

Gonna hopefully try out a s15 and a few other barefaced cabs soon but alas i can't afford any of them but will be usefull for when i can.

Unless really weirdly someone wants to trade theres for my cabs? ;-) of which there more chance of me winning the lottery!!

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1350729921' post='1842738']
I get it now,
Just read a review and that is the way the writer described the setup, definitely not too clear from their description.
[/quote]

Its a bit confusing from reading but i got the head cos of a few videos so i realised what the set up should be.

I still have a laugh at how small the head is!

So maybe using it as a pre on some gigs will be ok.

Andy

It is quite epically small,....(ooh err)
Was thinking of getting a BF super 12 and was looking for a suitably small (in size) head to drive it. Was thinking either headlite or maybe an EA micro??

Just need to sell the current gear to raise some funds now.
Hope you sort out the poweramp.

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1350733189' post='1842794']
It is quite epically small,....(ooh err)
Was thinking of getting a BF super 12 and was looking for a suitably small (in size) head to drive it. Was thinking either headlite or maybe an EA micro??

Just need to sell the current gear to raise some funds now.
Hope you sort out the poweramp.
[/quote]

I can only say good things about the headlite, depending where you are feel free to through me a pm to come and try it?