Why become a member? ×

Jaco - Other Recommended Recordings?

spongebob

Really on a Jaco tip at the mo - from solo, Weather Report, Joni.....

Having really enjoyed the book, it led me to iTunes where there's a whole load of 'other' recordings - some Brian Melvin stuff, PDB, etc.

Can anybody suggest any of these to go for/avoid? Being that they're not the main discography stuff, not sure where to go on this.....

All ideas welcome! :D

I'm not a Jaco expert by a long way but for something slightly different you could try Ian Hunter's All American Alien Boy, I think he even plays a little guitar on it.

It's only one tune but I love 'I Can Dig It Baby' by Little Beaver that Jaco played on.

I have a PDB CD somewhere that I bought years ago and it's a very bad quality recording.

I'm sure plenty of other BC folk with chip in.

Check out the Michel Colombier album 'Dreamland'-it's really cool.
Obviously listen to Pat Metheney's album 'Bright Size Life' for some great earlier Jaco.
'4am' off Herbie Hancock's 'Mr Hands' album is great.
One of my favourite Jaco performances is on the track 'Mood Swings' on Mike Stern's
'Upside Downside' album.

Cool - will check those out!

Is there an issue with the post-Word Of Mouth recordings?

Appreciate they're not 'official' releases - is the issue with the quality of the recording, or did Jaco go off the boil performance-wise? Wouldn't blame him after reading where he was during the later years.....

Cool - already have TOD - what a shame they didn't continue any further, I love John Mclauglin and Tony Williams.

I keep seeing a download of Jaco with Albert Mangelsdorff and Alphonse Mouzon - Trilogue? Sounds interesting.

Had a flick through the Brian Melvin 'Nightfood' album on Amazon - doesn't sound great to me - bit like a Sade backing track!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1349435730' post='1826228']

I keep seeing a download of Jaco with Albert Mangelsdorff and Alphonse Mouzon - Trilogue? Sounds interesting.

[/quote]

I had a DVD of that and it bored the pants off of me :D

Curse you BC, just bought the 'Tower of Doom' album.

Back to the OP, do you have the Twins 1 and 2 albums? It's Jaco with his big band live and both discs are incredible. I had the 'Invitation' album (edited single CD version of 1 and 2) for years and loved that, last month I got hold of the 'Twins' (so to speak) and realised what I was missing. Awesome performances from all concerned.

Guest McBass

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1349463399' post='1826757']
Curse you BC, just bought the 'Tower of Doom' album.

Back to the OP, do you have the Twins 1 and 2 albums? It's Jaco with his big band live and both discs are incredible. I had the 'Invitation' album (edited single CD version of 1 and 2) for years and loved that, last month I got hold of the 'Twins' (so to speak) and realised what I was missing. Awesome performances from all concerned.
[/quote]
I have Twins 2 on Vinyl, Japanese Import. It cost me about £14 back in 1987. 10 minute version of Elegant People...badass!