Why become a member? ×

Hipshots

lowdowner

During lesson yesterday, my teach suggested that I de-tune my 4 string by a semitone so I could play MJ's 'Beat It' at a decently low octave (original is in Eb)...

Rather than spending my time doing the de-tuning between numbers when gigging, I wondered if Hipshot d-tuners were a good solution, and whether anyone on here used them... and if they would fit on my Warwick Thumb?

http://www.basscentre.com/hipshot-d-tuners/HipshotBT10.html

Any comments welcome...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1348935628' post='1819947']
Yes they work & I've had no problem with 2 or 3 different models on different basses. Not sure which will suit the Warwick, go to Hipshot.com for the full range.

I've never paid £95 for one though! :o

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Thanks...

turns out is is

www.hipshotproducts.com

though :)

Used to use one a lot, to drop to a D, until I got a 5 string....

Always found it really accurate, once set up...& sometimes fun to use as an effect whilst playing...

Michael Manring kinda takes the use of them [i](on all four strings) [/i]to an extreme!...

Not everyone's cup of tea ...but you gotta admire his work...I think this track is pretty cool....
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4Ra2KOyas&feature=relmfu[/media]

+1 to Mark at Bass Direct being a top guy... :)

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348935229' post='1819941']
During lesson yesterday, my teach suggested that I de-tune my 4 string by a semitone so I could play MJ's 'Beat It' at a decently low octave (original is in Eb)...

Rather than spending my time doing the de-tuning between numbers when gigging, I wondered if Hipshot d-tuners were a good solution, and whether anyone on here used them... and if they would fit on my Warwick Thumb?

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/hipshot-d-tuners/HipshotBT10.html"]http://www.basscentr...ipshotBT10.html[/url]

Any comments welcome...
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I used a GB7 in my Corvette. I think the Thumb uses the same type of tuners.

This is the place to get one, delivered in about a week and free delivery !

[url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/hipshot-detuner-extenders-gb7.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/hipshot-detuner-extenders-gb7.htm[/url]

and I didnt pay duty either ! worked out at about £45.00 delivered

They are amazing and have them on both of my main basses, once you have the hang of them you
can flip between tunings in perfect tune !

It must be just me then.... I have one on my Stingray and always found it a bit rubbish. It's fiddly to tune in the first place and even more fiddly to keep in tune. On a sweaty night when you need to retune reasonably often the 'D' goes out as well as the E (that is relatively, tuning the E doesn't bring it back quite right).

Step on your floor tuner and twist the E tuner until it says D. Save yourself 45 quid (or more)...

Lots of love for mine, and looking to get more for the new 4's, but I should have thought getting 4 to drop the entire tuning by a semitone for one number woud be an expensive option. Properly set up they work well

Not tried one, and not sure whether it works for bass as well as guitar, but one of these might be better, and cheaper if it does?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDvSq1pFjA[/media]

Edited by WalMan

I have them on 2 of my basses and would consider getting one for my recent Vintage aquisition. They are greata and easy to use. I would suggest looking at a YouTube video on how to tune them if you have problems. Generally they are ok to tune and my Stingray is finw with it. I have found they need a bit of encouragement when I detune my Charvel for band use (we play a semitone down) and then want to drop D.

Deffinately import from the states as they are cheaper.

My understanding of the OP is that the whole bass is detuned a semitone so that would be 4 new detuners. I think I'd rather just take a second bass as a backup that could be detuned in advance. In fact come to think of it I'm sure I've done gigs where I did precisely that.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1349093645' post='1821604']
It must be just me then.... I have one on my Stingray and always found it a bit rubbish. It's fiddly to tune in the first place and even more fiddly to keep in tune. On a sweaty night when you need to retune reasonably often the 'D' goes out as well as the E (that is relatively, tuning the E doesn't bring it back quite right).

Step on your floor tuner and twist the E tuner until it says D. Save yourself 45 quid (or more)...
[/quote]

I´ve had them on a couple of OLPs, on my MM SUB, on the MM Stingray, couple of Jazzes, a Warwick Corvette...
All trouble free.

I did have one that seemed a bit "stickier" than the others... all it needed was a tiny amount of lubricant.

I constantly change between E and D on my 4th string playing in the RATM band, and the Hipshot works well and reliably.
I suspect you just need a bit of lubricant. Well, by you I meant your Hipshot ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1349101500' post='1821785']
My understanding of the OP is that the whole bass is detuned a semitone so that would be 4 new detuners. I think I'd rather just take a second bass as a backup that could be detuned in advance. In fact come to think of it I'm sure I've done gigs where I did precisely that.
[/quote]

re-reading the OP... you may be right!
In which case... I agree, 4 Hipshots will work, but it seems a bit over the top. I´d just detune on the spot or bring a second bass if I need it for more than one song.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1349101500' post='1821785']
My understanding of the OP is that the whole bass is detuned a semitone so that would be 4 new detunerEes. I think I'd rather just take a second bass as a backup that could be detuned in advance. In fact come to think of it I'm sure I've done gigs where I did precisely that.
[/quote]

Or tune it down a semi tone on every string and capo it at the first for regular tuning.
Cheaper than a second bass OR de-tuners....

Just fitted my first one to my jazz...constantly switching between E and D tuning....frankly IMO it should be made law that these things are fitted as standard on all basses.. :) . I can't believe how I ever got by without one. If your interested there is a dealer in the States selling them at the moment for about £43 delivered on Ebay..his postage was about £6.50...I ordered one Tuesday and it arrived on Friday morning it was on the bass Saturday and gigged that night....I could not believe how fast it came..top stuff.

Edited by Dudgeman