Why become a member? ×

Swansea bassists (and everyone else) advice please

bengovier182

P.s. This is for everyone, ill explain where the swansea reference is applied at the end.

I've been looking fir a new bass for sometime now, and ive decided on the fender jaguar, however, spotted a fender modern player tele bass yesterday, and, well, that thing looks pretty badass.

So, a little information ir experience on either would be appreciated.

Main concerns of the tele bass is, firstly; can you even slap on this thing, i am a major slap enthusiast and it would be pointless to get it, unless i had money to burn (i don't), if you can't. It doesn't look like you can from a glance, looks like it play somewhat similar to the original precisions or an eb3 or something, which are not big slappers.

Secondly, those pickups, look like they're a fender style mudbucker, however, I'm sure they're actually split coils, masquerading as humbuckers. So, do they suffer from a massively muddy, deep, throbbing mudbucker tone, or can you get a good treble and mid response out of them. I'm quite a punchy attack tone bassist.

The only aim towards swansea bassists i have is, if anyone in my area happened to own a tele bass, they may perhaps be prepared let me have a little tickle on it, a test run, maybe?

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers, ben.

Edited by bengovier182

I have '72 and '73 Teles, the neck humbucker is much misunderstood, there are plenty of growling mids to be had. Despite what people think, these basses are not overburdened with low end. On the modern player, you also have the bridge pickup to add some treble. I believe there is limited adjustment of the pickups on the modern player, you would want the neck pickup set pretty low to be comfortable for slapping. It could probably be done, but check - they don't just raise and lower with a screwdriver like the original.

Edited by arthurhenry

I have a fender jag and sounds amazing and so easy to slap , not had any experience of the tele , prob could do slap but I can't recommend the jag enough, just have to be careful not to switch it off while in mid slap like do ! Getting used to it now though ;)

[quote name='bengovier182' timestamp='1349118306' post='1822109']
Have you ever tried to slap on them?
[/quote]

Only at gunpoint.

Seriously, I'm a very infrequent slapper, but haven't had a problem as the pickup is set pretty low, so doesn't get in the way. The modern player seems to be in stock in a lot of places, give one a try!