Why become a member? ×

New Fender Basses

Hobbayne

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1349345309' post='1824931']
White. Every time.
[/quote]

Yes indeed. I did plump for the Olympic White 2011 American Standard P Bass in the end.
I suppose I could post pictures, but you all know what they look like, right? :P

Apologies for crap iphone pics, makes it look more yellow than white in artificial light.
Not very well set up out of the box though, I have had to take the action down a bit, but that wasnt a problem as its a very nice well made bass. The strings will need replacing though, I dont know what strings Fender use on their basses, but these stock ones are terrible.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1349270336' post='1824040']
The new improved 2010 and onwards basses ply nice sound good and don't need any after market upgrades such as bridges, pick ups etc unless there is a specific brand you prefer.

I understand that they have put new pick ups in the 2012 models?

If you can buy one used it's even better value.
[/quote]
A point of order. It is not possible for anything to be "new AND improved".

Well I gigged this last night and it was brilliant! :D A great punchy sound that even the drummer commented on!
Nice neck and well balanced body, no neck diving thanks to those tiny tuners.
Beautiful action c/o yours truly, with a lovely smooth brand new feel to it.
Even the stock strings that I was going to change sounded bright and full through my Warwick combo.
Highly recommended to P bass players on the look out for a new bass.
Last years basses at a knock down price? you bet.
Hobbayne's 5 star rating***** :happy:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1349728676' post='1829844']
Apologies for crap iphone pics, makes it look more yellow than white in artificial light.
Not very well set up out of the box though, I have had to take the action down a bit, but that wasnt a problem as its a very nice well madebass. The strings will need replacing though, I dont know what strings Fender use on their basses, but these stock ones are terrible.

[/quote]yup that's all you'll need

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1350428385' post='1838916']
The stock strings used to be good but in 2010/11 they changed them again and they ain't great!
[/quote]

My 2012 AM Std came with Fender Supabass strings and very good they are too - very similar in feel and tone to my all time faves EB Hybrid Slinkies.

Congratulations on your new bass!
Yep they got it right with the Standards.I was avoiding the P basses until I picked an oldie up 2nd hand recently and I now love it. I imagined I needrd more pickup and sound options but in practice it makes the sounds I want. The same applies to the new ones as recently I found myself comparing everything in a shop to the Fender Standards. Why because they hit the spot for me!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1349256465' post='1823810'] In all honesty the date (and location) of manufacture of a particular bass is neither here nor there. If it feels and sounds good to you, then it IS good and if you like it enough then you should buy it. It doesn't matter one jot what "round the campfire" talk exists about certain periods of production. I highly doubt that anyone here has sufficient overview of the entire output of Fender from a certain era and location in order to make overall judgements applicable to the entirety of it.
[/quote]

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1349263854' post='1823914']
This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. This just doesn't apply to fender basses but to the whole lot of them!
[/quote]
I entirely agree with the first part of that, although I feel the last sentence reflects a certain naïveté on the part of the author, if not least an assumption. With all due respect.