Why become a member? ×

Stack knob / Concentric pot problem

booboo

I've a jazz with stacked V/T controls for each pick up. Recently I'm having trouble getting the tone and volume (inner and outer) controls to work independently as they should. When I turn the volume down the tone gets rolled off, and when I adjust the tone the volume moves as well.
I've taken the knobs of and given everything a good clean, but the problem persists.
I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Not sure if this willl be of any help but here are a few comments on the subject from talkbass:

... there should be a detent washer under the lower knob so it doesnt spin on accident when you raise or lower the volume

... you have to leave a little bit of space in between the two knobs when you tighten them on, or they will catch on each-other when you turn them- causing either a really rough turning action or causing both knobs to turn when you are only trying to turn one.

... it is also easy with stacked knobs to tighten them on slightly crooked, which can result in one knob getting caught on the others while turning.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1349464690' post='1826796']
Not sure if this willl be of any help but here are a few comments on the subject from talkbass:

... there should be a detent washer under the lower knob so it doesnt spin on accident when you raise or lower the volume

.[b].. you have to leave a little bit of space in between the two knobs when you tighten them on, or they will catch on each-other when you turn them- causing either a really rough turning action or causing both knobs to turn when you are only trying to turn one.[/b]

... it is also easy with stacked knobs to tighten them on slightly crooked, which can result in one knob getting caught on the others while turning.
[/quote]

^^^ This. Sorted now thanks. Feel a bit of a plumb TBH for not thinking of this, but it seems instinctive to tighten all the knobs down as far as poss. Just lifting the top one 1mm on each pot combined with the good clean I already gave them mean all the controls are like butter now - happy days!