Why become a member? ×

Flea percussive finger technique

Musicman20

Hi all

My fingerstyle has developed a lot over the past 2-3 years. I was primarily a rock pick player for 13-14 years, then I figured 'heck, I need to play fingerstyle', so I did....it just naturally worked out after 3-4 months of leaving the pick alone.

Flea is one of the reasons I love bass guitar so much. I love his tone, no matter what bass he uses.

He came from a very similar playing background to me, eg playing fast punk. The Chili's are a great band, and at the moment I'm trying to get used to playing as fast as he does.

Can you recommend anything for getting that really aggressive fingerstyle that he pulls off? Is it just sheer practice at Chili type songs?

I'm getting there...some of them are easier than I thought. By The Way sounds awesome played along with the recording.

You need to have your wrist straight and aligned with your fingers (keeping the bass low will help), and detach the elbow/forearm from the body of the bass.
That's the only way to be aggressive finger-style and not hurt yourself.
Don't break your wrist at 90 degree, with the forearm resting on top of the bass or you'll end up with tendinitis...

It's one of those annoying things that's so easy to do but so hard to explain! I've always played with an aggressive finger style since I was never shown how to play 'properly'

You basically have to 'hit' across the string with your finger, the attack is very similar to a downstroke with a plectrum I guess.

Bryan Beller uses this style a lot... He's using it in a metal context in this video but you can kind of see what he's doing with his fingers here.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS7NXRQXem4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS7NXRQXem4&feature=related[/url]