Why become a member? ×

Ready Freddie Washington

merello

So cool. He's really up there with the best of the session guys, apparently his reading abilities are second to none - something that wouldn't matter if a bass player doesn't have a great feel, but he's got such a groove on him!

EDIT - I should add, a lot of slap players put me to sleep, but his feel is really compelling, he plays almost like a drummer would approach playing his kick and snare with his thumb and index fingers. Great stuff!

Edited by risingson

Also saw a clinic of Freddie but how amazing that bass-line is.. after fifteen minutes playing this line with a big smile you get tired of this in the end.
The rest of the clinic was a shuffle thing which didn't really excite me..
I think the could get 1250 euros at that time on an off-day during the tour in Belgium and just agreed to fill an hour with two licks..

He got a writer's credit on that song which was a big hit around the world, was nominated for a Grammy, sampled for Men in Black by Will Smith & then used by George Michael for the bridge in Fast Love, even bigger global hits.

He has probably earned more from this one bassline than many bass players could dream of in a lifetime of playing :)