Why become a member? ×

EQ tone range for strings

norvegicusbass

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1349994564' post='1833462']
can't do Level 42 with flats.[/quote]

Yeah flats are great aren't they. :P

More seriously I don't think I could string my only bass with flats, which is why I have two basses. And the best thing is the sound of flatwound strings is so basic you can use a really cheap bass and it makes very little difference. Get yourself a cheap little Squier and have that sound available whenever you want it.

I took a chance & strung my only bass with flats.
Wish I would have done it 20 years ago!
They don't have the "zing" of rounds, but the Tomastic Infelds don't lack treble for getting a decent slap sound or percussive rock sound with a pick & I think they have a much better lower end (deeper sound) than the DR Strings that I was using previous.

I like them because they lack the zing. Flats don't just do the Mowtown sound, they fit in with all styles (even slap).

I have an SR505 ( ab it of a funk machine by nature) which had rounds on it when I got it. I was constantly playing with the treble right down to try and tame it, which left now room for manoeuvre.
Changed to status hotwire half flats and I now like the tone with everything flat, which gives me room to modify the tone either way for venue or the song as required.