Why become a member? ×

Thinking of dipping my toe in six string water .

blamelouis

The Kingstons are nice basses, though not spent as much times as I'd like on them for a decent review for you sorry. I've been a 6 player for a lot of years now. My cheap recommendations for you would be the original Tobias Toby Pro 6 (not the Bubinga bodied version) or the Spector Euro LX6. Both have chunky-ish necks but sometimes come up for a crazy bargain price. The Yamaha 1006 (i think is the model) is a great starter 6 string as are the mid-range Ibanez sound gear models.
I played a cracking Spector Holoflash 6 bass ages ago. I really liked it, but I'm not sure of the model number. I think it was a Q6, now discontinued.

I love playing 6 strings. I'm a fan of a closer string spacing (around 16mm). Don't feel that you *have* to get the same spacing as a four string. On some basses, i think that it's not as helpful as you may think! Fat and very wide necks can be unwieldy with a high action!

Oh and the usual comments about not being able to slap as well on a 6 are nonsense :) You might have to adjust your technique a bit, but it's perfectly do-able :)

I haven't owned a 6'er for quite some time, but I did start on a cheap Ibanez SR606 then moved onto a Status Energy Custom 6 which had a slightly wider string spacing (17.5mm). The Ibanez was actually a really nice player and was pretty ballsy in the tone department. Cracking bass for the money.

I have never played a Cort 6, so I can't give my opinion, but I have played a MTD KZ6 and the neck plays like butter (like all MTD basses), but the 19mm spacing at the bridge is a pain if you don't play floating thumb picking style. It's quite a stretch from the pickup or B string, depending where you like to rest your thumb, down to the C string.

I would recommend taking some time finding your first 6'er. I might be just speaking for myself, but I tend to find that 6 string basses much harder to tick my boxes compared to 4 and 5 string basses. Tone, playability, weight balance, feel...the whole package. I am a lot more pickier with 6'ers. Play as many as you can...no matter if the bass might be over budget, just so that you can get the feel of a 6 string bass under your fingers and figure out what makes sense to you as far as string spacing, neck profile etc... is concerned

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1350256366' post='1836589']
Thanks very much for the great advice guys.
Much appreicated .
The only thing that put me off the yamaha trb 1006 was a few on here saying the electronics arent great ?
But i do love the yamaha sound.
[/quote]

I liked the electronics A LOT, managed to get quite a good p bass sound out of it too. Managed to sound good and aggressive which is always good for me :D