Why become a member? ×

Almost had everything, where to go next?

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I appear to have come to impasse with my buying and selling of basses. I have owned very many basses, none of which have stuck around for more then 3 years (And those were only ones that were in the workshop getting modifications for a year!)

I sort of don't know what to do! I sometimes gain money by buying shrewdly and selling on at a profit, but often I buy something for a reasonable price, upgrade it, then decide its not for me.

So with the sale of my Gibson RD I want to step back and take a look at what is next!

Currently I have A Warmoth/Fender P-J Antigua bass, which has been very good for me, lovely tone, all maple construction and in Antigua burst! I also have my Grabber which to me is eye candy. I love my Sansamp Tech 21 VT Deluxe, My Ampeg PF-500 I only use for the power section and I have just ordered a Barefaced Super 12T which should be my perfect cab! (Touch wood). I also have a no name Chinese 7 string fretless at a workshop getting chopped and changed about (SGD lutherie KD style pickups, Glockenlang pre-amp etc).

I also have a Kramer 8 String XL-8 aluminium neck bass coming in. I hope I like it, though it might end up on the chopping block.

One of my issues apart from serial GAS, is that I love playing lots of genres. I am not in a band because I get bored of playing one genre for too long. This affects my bass tastes and collection. The one thing that does not change is my want to cut through the mix like a knife.

I love Funk, Noise rock, doom, punk, death metal, gospel, prog etc.

I have the noise/doom/punk aspect covered with my Grabber, precision and possibly Kramer. The 7 String I could use for death metal and prog, though it is going to be a while til it's finished and at the end of the day its still a fretless so it's usefulness is limited. So in my heart, I know I need something with 5+ strings with a hi-fi sound. However I cant help but want more oddball heavy 70's stuff!

I have tried and bought many different styles of basses. I have made a list below of basses I haven't tried at all and want to try, or have tried and want to buy.[list]
[*] A GOOD Rickenbacker (Very rare)
[*] 1970's Musicman Stingray
[*] A good quality wide string spaced 6 string
[*] Vigier Passion II
[*] A Wal
[*] Guild B301
[*]BC Rich Wave
[/list]
Things I KNOW I WANT in a bass.[list]
[*]Cutting Tone/distinct growl
[*]34" scale
[*]Slightly oddball, but not too much!
[*]Generally like Maple or ebony fingerboards
[*]I like predominantly all maple basses
[*]Really low EFFORTLESS/Lazy action
[/list]

So I get to point of thread. The one thing I have never done is order a custom bass. I have owned many custom shop basses, nicest of which was a Pedulla Pentabuzz. But never had one built for me.

There is a builder in Bristol who I trust quite well, he will build me ANYTHING I want (Though maybe not direct copies). This means any Body/Neck Design, string amount, hardware etc. Maybe it is time I had this done? I might not be able to cover all the bases that I like in basses, but maybe it will finally prove to me that I'll never find the perfect bass and I should be happy with my lot.

What would suggest I do? Carry on buying other peoples basses to get even more of an idea of what I want (Which I have been doing for years unsuccessfully!), finally go custom shop? What made you stop your GAS? Will I ever be happy considering how I am addicted to chopping and changing?

Either way I'll be taking a little time thinking about this and holding onto my money! Budget is £1500-£2500 for a custom bass (£1500 now, and the extra when it is built). I don't mind investing in something even though it will lose value, I am about the perfect bass here, not how much I'll lose on it.

Thanks for listening :)

Rob.

[size=5][b]PS, if anyone in London area really wants to help me out and let me try their high end/expensive basses, please let me know! Too shy at the bassbash to ask to try em out![/b][/size]

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350132849' post='1834942']

Things I KNOW I WANT in a bass.[list]
[*]Cutting Tone/distinct growl
[*]34" scale
[*]Slightly oddball, but not too much!
[*]Generally like Maple or ebony fingerboards
[*]I like predominantly all maple basses
[*]Really low EFFORTLESS/Lazy action
[/list]
[/quote]

Sounds like you need one of the newer Spector Euro basses :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1350134022' post='1834963']
Sounds like you need one of the newer Spector Euro basses :)
[/quote]

Pretty sure they mostly make only 35" inches.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1350134102' post='1834967']
Wishbass.
[/quote]

Zen

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350138627' post='1835046']
You're not looking for a long-term relationship.

The thrill of the chase and the honeymoon period seems to be what drives you on, so just keep doing what you’re doing.
[/quote]

Thats what I am afraid of. Then again, I doubt my All maple bodied precision is going anytime soon :) I don't think I need another precision, so that's something!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1350135956' post='1835000']
Dingwall?
[/quote]

Never tried one, though aesthetically it displeases me :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1350134749' post='1834982']
See if Shuker will make an "exactly right for Shockwave bass"?
[/quote]

Then he would ask me what I wanted!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350138627' post='1835046']
You're not looking for a long-term relationship.

The thrill of the chase and the honeymoon period seems to be what drives you on, so just keep doing what you’re doing.
[/quote]

Exactly this. You can make almost any bass sound like almost any bass anyway, the importance of the inherent tone of a bass is largely complete bollocks. Feel and looks are another matter, and they are very important.

Keep your best basses, have a grand set aside to play with buying and selling.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1350138967' post='1835051']
Exactly this. You can make almost any bass sound like almost any bass anyway, the importance of the inherent tone of a bass is largely complete bollocks. Feel and looks are another matter, and they are very important.

Keep your best basses, have a grand set aside to play with buying and selling.
[/quote]

I am looking for a long term relationship basswise. But I am not sure if I could handle it! I want to change! :P I think going custom might make me settle down, by going. "You picked the parts, the wood, the shape that you wanted exactly, now you best like it, even if you don't because it's best your gonna get!".

In the past, the more I have spent modifying a bass, the longer I keep it. (Though the Gibson RD is the exception to the rule)

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350139254' post='1835057']
I am looking for a long term relationship basswise. But I am not sure if I could handle it! I want to change! :P [b]I think going custom might make me settle down[/b], by going. "You picked the parts, the wood, the shape that you wanted exactly, now you best like it, even if you don't because it's best your gonna get!".

In the past, the more I have spent modifying a bass, the longer I keep it. (Though the Gibson RD is the exception to the rule)
[/quote]

Don't make this mistake. This is quite the opposite of what you should do. It's YOU causing the situation NOT basses. Custom will just make the heartache more painful.

I have my ONE bass, but that didn't stop me thinking about swapping it for the Kubicki Factor for sale on BC last night on a whim, and I have never even played a Kubicki.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1350140271' post='1835072']
What about taking a break? Play drums for a while and let the cravings come to you.
After you been bass starved for while, pick the bass that most appeal to you. I bet that's the ONE!
[/quote]

I am picking up a cheap guitar on Monday, probably wont be playing a bass for 6/8 weeks as I have no cab.

I have done this before though, I think I came out with a Barefaced Vintage....

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1350140945' post='1835086']
Make a list of the reasons you off-loaded all of your previous basses; a) it'll tell you more about what options are still open to you & B) if you picture all those things together it'll be a pig of bass ............ to you!
[/quote]

For that I would have to count what basses I have had!

What I have really liked.

Pre-EB Stingray, 2 band Stingrays, Early Vigier Passion II, Ken Smiths for sound and feel. Gibson RD Artist for Sound, Gibson Grabber for sound. Pedulla Pentabuzz for feel.

Sounds and feels I have hated.

Geddy Lee Jazz bass, Active Jazz basses, Dull sounding P basses, Thunderbirds, PRS basses, Most warwicks. I am sure there are more!

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1350141890' post='1835099']
How do you feel about graphite?

I'm thinking St4tus Gr..... :blink: . Ticks the boxes on cutting tone, growl, low action etc.
[/quote]

I have had 3 Status Graphite basses. Sounded pretty dead to my ears, action was good but not as good as the Vigier Passion II's