Why become a member? ×

Almost had everything, where to go next?

Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350250190' post='1836454']

It was a 1987 Thumb. Lovely sound. Neck was too thin.

I have also owned a Warwick LX4 and a NT Thumb 4 mid 90's ones. Sound was lacking in those two.
[/quote]

There's a monster wide necked Warwick 6 string Thumb at BG Towers too - I haven't tried to play it, it frightens me and I think it bites :(

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1350251100' post='1836480']
Sandberg?

Musicman Sterling 5/Bongo 5.
[/quote]

Sandberg to me seem like a poor mans musicman. Havent tried one though. Quite like the look of the panthers.

I did own a Musicman Bongo 5 stealth. Was alright, but nothing to write home about.

Had a purple sterling, didnt sound like a Ray.. just dull. :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1350248877' post='1836425']
Pick a day when I'm minding the store at BassGear and you can play all day if you want :)

At the moment the interesting/different 5's in stock include:

A pair of Wals
Nordy VP5
Two very different Ritters
Two bolt-on Wood & Tronics
Laurus T900
Modulus Quantum
Pedulla Pentabuzz
Zon US Sonus
Alembic fretless
Fodera Anthony Jackson double cut bolt-on
F Bass BN5

Probably some more but these are the ones I can actually remember. Phil the owner has a pair of Shuker P5's and there's a few 'reference' 4's like vintage Fenders, a Ricky, couple of interesting Musicmen etc an there's also some 6's and a 7 in stock too.

You really would be welcome to play for as long as you like - if nothing else you might knock some brands off your list, lol.
[/quote]

Hmm, I may have to make the trip!

I reckon A Wal might do me good. As long as its not a club neck one. But the cost is enormous!

Rob.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350251415' post='1836498']
Hmm, I may have to make the trip!

I reckon A Wal might do me good. As long as its not a club neck one. But the cost is enormous!

Rob.
[/quote]

The Wals are really interesting to play but generally too heavy for me :(

The dark horses, although certainly not shrinking violets (sorry on a bit of a metaphor kick this evening it seems!), are the Ritters.

My personal #1 bass is a Ritter Cora 4 string. Solid flamed maple body, ebony board, super-slinky neck & 33.3" scale.

When I first saw them I thought they looked cool but had no idea they would play / sound the way they do.

As my sig may imply I'm currently selling basses en masse simply because the Ritter seems to have ousted almost everything else I've owned. There's still some passion for really nice vintage Fenders, my '63J is #2 bass at the moment but the only thing I have any sort of GAS for is possibly another Ritter but in different body woods to give some more sound options.

They are serious money of course but, by flogging almost all my other gear, I feel i can justify the expense :)

PS - The invite to Bg is not so I can flog you anything, it's genuinely meant as an offer for you to have a good blast on a few interesting basses without any hassle / pressure to buy :)

One constant is that I have always liked a Stingray SUB and Wal's ability to be "growly" and "Bouncey" "Immediate attack" and "Response to aggressive play". Though i have generally not liked the weight, string spacing and the bolt on neck.

So having said that how about this for starters based on my wants and experience with certain equipment.

Alnico Humbucker style pickups.
2 band pre-amp. Filter Based Pre-amp? (Like on a Wal?)
6 string.
34 inch scale
At least 19mm string spacing with very very minor neck taper towards the headstock.
Maple Fingerboard.
Set Neck/Neck thru.
Bright/pick attack switch like that found on a Gibson RD and a Wal. (No idea how to implement this in a circuit?).
Bulky/wide but lightweight body.
Hipshot ultra light tuners.

Not a fan of furniture finishes unless it has a bit of colour to it.

As far as I am aware, Wal have never done a 19mm string spaced 5/6 string and Musicman never have either. So likely have to go custom.

Heres some tones I like. Of course they arent particularly accurate due to Youtube, but there you go!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWYHdOR6TvU&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aaFgLqrzyo&feature=relmfu[/media]

I'm afraid I agree with a lot of people here. It doesn't matter if you find something that ticks every box you have, you'll doubtlessly tire of it eventually and sell it to get something else.

If it helps - I went through a similar phase where whatever I had I wanted something else, I solved this by downgrading from an expensive custom bass (Overwater Progress III) and bought 2 cheaper, but more diverse basses (G&L L2000 & Peavey T-40). There is nothing that at least one of these cannot do. If I get bored of one I play the other for a while, when I go back to the first it's like a new bass again.

I'm happier than I have been for years and have no desire for either of them to be replaced.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1350287084' post='1836689']
I'm afraid I agree with a lot of people here. It doesn't matter if you find something that ticks every box you have, you'll doubtlessly tire of it eventually and sell it to get something else.

If it helps - I went through a similar phase where whatever I had I wanted something else, I solved this by downgrading from an expensive custom bass (Overwater Progress III) and bought 2 cheaper, but more diverse basses (G&L L2000 & Peavey T-40). There is nothing that at least one of these cannot do. If I get bored of one I play the other for a while, when I go back to the first it's like a new bass again.

I'm happier than I have been for years and have no desire for either of them to be replaced.
[/quote]

Maybe so!

However Happy Jack has kindly allowed me to invade his home and try his High end 5's tonight! :)

R

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1350287084' post='1836689']
[/quote]

I played my 1990 Thumb bass for 18 years and thought it was the dogs knackers until it got too heavy, I began to get annoyed with the tone when recording and I began to hate the feel of it... hence the Sei basses now - we all need a change after a while :)

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1350314141' post='1837156']
I played my 1990 Thumb bass for 18 years and thought it was the dogs knackers until it got too heavy, I began to get annoyed with the tone when recording and I began to hate the feel of it... hence the Sei basses now - we all need a change after a while :)
[/quote]

It would be nice to stick with something for oh I dunno 5 years before wanting to change, Buying and selling can get really stressy and I am a bit tired of it!

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350314649' post='1837168']
It would be nice to stick with something for oh I dunno 5 years before wanting to change, Buying and selling can get really stressy and I am a bit tired of it!
[/quote]
Try crack, it's cheaper and much more fun. But be careful, don't overdo it.

So I have played on some of Jacks toys.
The Wal had a BRILLIANT sound, really amazing, i loved it.

However, it was heavy, had too tight a string spacing and very expensive. Felt very solid, not sure if I could jump around with it! If one came up at the a ridiculous price I would consider it.

So either I start trying to get something that might sound even close to a wal, or think again.,

I think I might have to think long term on this!

Transplant the Wal electrics and pickups into a different bass, and then we are talking!