Why become a member? ×

Retrovibe Vantage Bass

mark77bass

[quote name='mark77bass' timestamp='1350315571' post='1837183']
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know anyone who has one of these?

[url="http://www.probass.co.uk/Vantage4.html"]http://www.probass.co.uk/Vantage4.html[/url]

Be interested to know what you all think?

Cheers
[/quote]

yup, got one a few weeks ago:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185702-retrovibe-basses-i-dont-need-one-but/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185702-retrovibe-basses-i-dont-need-one-but/[/url]

I really like it. Mine was not perfect from the box, and I'm tinkering with it a lot (which for me is part of the fun). But basically it's decently made, the bridge pickup is great (not adequate, but great :)) and it balances well, it looks great, unique... I hate the neck pickup. It is weak, and the position it's in lacks the "Jazz neck" sound anyway, and it gets in the way a bit when slapping (at least the way I do). I ended up screwing the neck pickup all the way in. Next step is... I'm going to get another pickguard and the neck pickup will go entirely. I'll put a Stingray-style pickguard and will modify the control plate area... so it's going to be a total mindf*uck of a bass: part Jazz, part Ric, part Stingray, yet none of them at the same time. :lol: Oh, and a preamp. Seymour Duncan STC-3M4 at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Got a Blueburst one delivered yesterday, as a result of some comments on here. Played it at a full on band practice last night - main PA, monitors, everything - through my Ashdown LB30 and LB212 cab.

Firstly, the colour is so much better in real life than the photo. The blue is darker, and seems much 'deeper' if that makes sense. More of a Royal Blue than plain Blue. Everything seems to be screwed together well. The controls and pup switch are smooth and work perfectly. Tuners are a bit cheap, but they do the job with no slipping. The neck is straight and the action out of the box is decently low, so all I needed/wanted to do was tune it and get playing.

As mcnach says above, the neck pickup is a bit weak and thin and got lost in our 5 piece covers band. Even in songs that needed a lighter touch, I found myself flicking on the bridge pup to cut through.

However.......that massive humbucking bridge pickup is a total monster :D Rich, deep, tones with a side helping of growl. The other guys asked me to turn down, as I was punching straight through the lot of them. I had to knock off the bass shift on the amp, to sit back in the mix more - my Jazzes, certainly need the shift switched on to beat their way through.

I'm sure I'll find little niggles with it, but as someone who has Fenders and used to have Rics, this thing certainly punches above its weight. It looks brilliant (I think) with its Rickenfenderman styling, and on the back pup it sounds massive.

Might not be the best £1000 you've ever spent, but it really is worth the £240 it actually costs

Edited by davehux

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1353675132' post='1877244']
However.......that massive humbucking bridge pickup is a total monster :D Rich, deep, tones with a side helping of growl. The other guys asked me to turn down, as I was punching straight through the lot of them. I had to knock off the bass shift on the amp, to sit back in the mix more - my Jazzes, certainly need the shift switched on to beat their way through.
[/quote]

Indeed! I love that pickup. The bass sounds huge. I'm in the middle of a total transformation... losing the neck pickup, ading a preamp... watch this space... or rather, the otehr space (thread quoted above ;))

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1353679757' post='1877331']
You stick a pre-amp in there as well, and you'll have to stand in the next county from the rest of the band ;)
[/quote]

:lol:

well, I do have a volume knob... unlike a guitarist I know that they also turn down, as well as up! :P