Why become a member? ×

Is a bass amp power stage uncoloured?

Walker

[b]Is a bass amp power stage uncoloured?[/b]

My eldest son is learning to play guitar.

I don't want to buy a guitar amp as sapce is tight, so I'm looking at buying him a 2nd hand Line 6 PodXT Pro or Zoom G3 - something with amp modelling and a few FX to keep him interested!

I've got a Genz Shuttle 9.2 and a couple of lovely Vanderklay 112MNT cabs as my bass rig.

If I run the Pod or Zoom into the effects return of my Genz, will that be pretty uncoloured? Is the power stage of a bass amp nice and clean and flat or tweaked for bass at all? I would have thought all the voicing for bass would have been on the pre' stage, but I'm not sure!

I assume the cabs won't make too much difference either? He's not a rock god tone geek, just a 10 year old kid who wants to make some half decent noise to annoy his old parents!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

I think it will be fine. I have gigged on guitar with a Line 6 POD HD500 through a Markbass LMK head into a Euphonic Audio Wizzy cabinet & it sounded great. I sent the POD in through the FX return. You could try that or go through the pre if you want some overall EQ control.

In general, power amps should really be just that - transparent to whatever is put into them. That would be the aim of a hi-fi amp anyway.

Instrument amps might be a bit different, with different manufacturers aiming for 'their' tone, though I don't think it would matter much to a 10-year old . . . not yet anyway.

So, it sounds like a good plan to me. Ultilise what you have for now and see how he gets on. It'll certainly make enough noise to annoy his parents!

I know this isn't answering the question - but have you considered getting one of these instead
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Roland-Micro-Cube-R~ID~9478.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Roland-Micro-Cube-R~ID~9478.asp[/url]
They are very small, only about 2watts - but increadibly loud, sound great and have some nice effects built in. It will sound much better than a pod through a bass rig. I got one for my 10 year old son and he loves it (especially twiddling with the fx). It will do him for years to come, and he'll easily be able to carry it with him if he wants to jam with anyone later on.