Why become a member? ×

Sad situation

I really respect people who are active participants of this forum, but I got really iritated with one fact. I have sent a bass in an insured parcel to a guy with no posts at all, no feedbacks - that fine, ok. Bass was in 100% good shape, truss rod was OK as well. I have made a video before sending it, together with date and screenshot of our conversation, I felt it could be useful at some time. I was not wrong. A guy tells me that the bass sounds as if it had no setup - for me it is 100% logical that setup is a matter of individual preference, and after the shipping when the weather is like today, u must setup the bass. Unfortunately the guy tries to tell me that a luthier cannot handle it and that the truss rod is not functioning, that the action is not low and there's a lot of fretbuzz. I feel that the guy wants to get some extra money from me. What can I do? The parcel was insured... And ofcourse, the nut is working, when I send the bass.

And I talk now with thuis guy, I send a video. Before I send the neck photo, and its perfectly straight, with low action.
Photo, http://i48.tinypic.com/25z0i.jpg - I got all our conversation.

Edited by Guest

Well as you have proof, I'd be checking with the courier company & also asking the buyer if the packaging was damaged.
As you have video proof, I would ask for evidence of what condition the bass is in & also of the problems.
I wouldn't blame him or the courier until you have proof of whom is telling the truth.

[quote name='Fabrocker' timestamp='1350583180' post='1840922']
I feel that the guy wants to get some extra money from me. What can I do?
[/quote]

Admittedly I don't know the full story of the pre-sale conversations, but my instinct would be to tell the buyer that if they're not happy with the bass to send it back to you (by insured carrier etc) and you'll refund their money when you receive it.

Er, do nothing. Sold as seen I think. What can you be expected to do? Where does it end? You pay through the nose for a new neck or a set-up? He saw the videos and the photos and made an informed decision to buy it.

I reckon, his missus saw it, shouted at him and told him to return it and get his money back.

Truckstop

From what you say about his history of 0 posts or feedback & finding faults where you know there weren't any - it may have a whiff of possible scam about it. And a luthier can't handle a set-up either?

Depending on how you were paid for it watch out for a delayed clawback if it was by Paypal, credit card or a cheque.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1350584495' post='1840943']
Er, do nothing. Sold as seen I think. What can you be expected to do? Where does it end? You pay through the nose for a new neck or a set-up? He saw the videos and the photos and made an informed decision to buy it.

I reckon, his missus saw it, shouted at him and told him to return it and get his money back.

Truckstop
[/quote]Is he married to my missus then?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1350588265' post='1841018']
But if the buyer is not implicated in any 'wrecking' then it's hardly fair to land him with the loss is it?
[/quote]

That's true & so is Billy's. Hence why I said get in touch with both parties to find out where the damage has occurred.
If both deny, then I would say that the new owner should be chasing the courier.

If you have legal cover (through an account or insurance), then try that for advice.

I'm sure someone may correct me, but as a private seller, you are not covered by the Distance Selling regulations, therefore it becomes 'caveat emptor' - buyer beware. You have no legal obligation to the buyer, and depending on how they paid, they could claim against their credit card, or through Paypal, but if it was a bank transfer or a cash sale, then there's no recourse, except the Small Claims Court (it may have now been rebranded)

It then comes down to you as a seller as to whether it was a bit of a pup that you tried to get rid of, or it was 100% when you sent it and someone is trying it on. You have to decide whether some negative feedback on here is possible or acceptable, or fight fire with fire.

Only you know what you sent out, so only you can really decide which way to play it

Edited by davehux