Why become a member? ×

Amp and speaker config advice needed

I have a TC Electronic BH500 head and want to know can i run two cabs with it, one is a 4 by 60 watt, 240 altogether and the other is a 1 by 15, 300 watt cab. I think these are 8ohm, would this cause me any problems with my amp or cabs?

Cheers,

need advice from people with experience of these things!

:blink:

The wattage will be splt equally between the two cabs if they're both 8 ohms, so theoretically you could overpower the first cab by 10 watts. In practice it's unlikely to be a problem, not least because you'll likely hear the speakers complaining before it reaches it's rated wattage.

A bigger problem would be caused if either (or both) the cabs were rated at less than 8 ohms. I'd definately confirm the impedance before using both the cabs together.

Basically,

The head will send 250w of power to eachcab provided that the cabs are rated at 8ohms each. The 1x15 will cope fine, and the 4x10 will struggle if you turn up too much.

The main problem with mixing cabs like that, is that the 1x15 potentially might not get enough power to sound good, and the 4x10 will have too much power going through it making it sound like it's being pushed too hard. Potentially!

Provided you keep the volume at a responsible level and both the cabs are 8ohms, then you shouldnt notice any problems.

Good luck!

Truckstop