Why become a member? ×

My Thumb hurts!

vmaxblues

I have noticed that my right thumb is not repairing, now what I mean by this is that I tend to rest my thumb on the top of a pichkup (the sharp cornery bit), and after a night of playing have a really nice indent in it, but it still hurts days later.

Now, either I have to stop digging my thumb into the corner of the pickup, or create a curve on the pickup with sandpaper or learn the harmonica.

Anyone had a similar experience and has a great solution?

Cheers

Stuart Dentythumb

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1350754396' post='1843147']

Now, either I have to stop digging my thumb into the corner of the pickup, or create a curve on the pickup with sandpaper or learn the harmonica.
[/quote]

...or use the "Floating Thumb" technique. ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url]

It sounds like you're putting way to much pressure on your thumb. You don't need to
do this at all...lighten up on how heavy you are on the pickup. You don't have to use
the floating thumb technique,you can rest on the pickup or strings without digging
your thumb into it.If you lighten up,you'll probably notice that you can play a little
quicker and for longer because you aren't putting any excess strain on your hand.