Why become a member? ×

Nobody notices the bass player?

mcnach

We all have heard that, haven't we?

Last week I played a late night gig with Sea Bass Kid [1]. We played two sets, and during the break we generally go out to get some fresh air etc. An "interesting" character approached us wanting to adopt us and putting a very serious amount of cash behind us (he says). Fully "blinged", wearing sunglasses at night, talking about how he's loaded and into music and we were the only band in 8 weeks that he has been in Edinburgh that he thought were good (well, thank you! ;)) bla blah, "here, buy yourselves a drink" says handing us a £50 note. :blink:
Anyway, the full conversation with him belongs to a new thread on its own :lol: but the reason I started this one was for something he said. When he was giving us compliments, he said how there was a guy drinking next to him during our first set, and at one point that guy turns to our "interesting" guy and says "the bass player? the bass player... is a twat!!!"
:lol:
To which our "interesting guy" replied (he says) saying that he is the twat, and we are very talented and our music is great and this and the other and sent him out of the bar.

:lol:

And, you know what's the bit that I thought was cute? Not the fact that this guy "defended" me, but the fact the other guy had noticed me, the bass player. Even if it was to say I was a twat :lol:
I'm serious :P

I don't know why he disliked me... we had a guitar string breakage issue and one of the other guitarists, the drummer and I started to jam and I may have been a bit loud and even slapped a bit on that bit for a minute (oh, the horror!) so maybe he just did not appreciate that. I was also very tired and a bit ill and I think I did not play very well that night... maybe it was that. Ah, I'll never know, for our "interesting" guy sent him out before he got to heckle me, so I don't know who he was. But... hey! Someone noticed me! :P

[1] here's a preliminary mix of one of our tracks from our new to be released first CD, in case you are curious
[url="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38169404/SBK%20recording%20mixes%20-%20121022/Gloria.mp3"]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38169404/SBK%20recording%20mixes%20-%20121022/Gloria.mp3[/url]

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1350944362' post='1845535']
1. Never trust a man who wears sunglasses indoors.

2. Never trust a man who has a £50 note.

3. Never trust a man who knows what a bass guitar is.
[/quote]

Well that's Ian Hunter stuffed then! :D

Though I say credit to the OP for filling the breakage gap with a jam; I've seen bands flap around panicing, go to the bar for a drink, tell the audience to talk among themselves, or have a row (+ flounce) as to why he didn't bring a spare guitar.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1350944568' post='1845537']
Though I say credit to the OP for filling the breakage gap with a jam; I've seen bands flap around panicing, go to the bar for a drink, tell the audience to talk among themselves, or have a row (+ flounce) as to why he didn't bring a spare guitar.
[/quote]

Yep so few bands are prepared for this eventuality! "Talk amongst yourselves" annoys me more than your other examples... you're there to entertain the audience, they didn't turn up to YOUR show to entertain themselves!

[/quote]
I've got to be honest,I really don't like that. A lot of bands seem to play some kind of lame funk-esque type jam in
those situations,and often it's horrible.
Surely you can continue a set without doing this,especially as there is another guitar player? It doesn't take long to change a string.

Back on topic....Of course people notice the bass player. The ones who don't get noticed are the ones who believe that
they shouldn't be noticed and try to hide at the back.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1350946341' post='1845560']
Back on topic....Of course people notice the bass player. The ones who don't get noticed are the ones who believe that
[/quote]

People notice me, hopefully it's not just because they don't see 6 strings often, or the fact that I tend to take my shirt off if the stage lights are too hot :lol:

EDIT: or my dodgy wrist angle! ;)

Edited by chrismuzz

Well that's Ian Hunter stuffed then! :D

[/quote]

we do that a lot, jamming. Although it's not always really improvised... we normally have a bunch of songs in various states of "work in progress", and we sometimes fall onto one or two of those. We actually use that to gauge how a song is coming along... If the people start dancing and it's well received, we will work more on that one. If people clear the floor, no matter how much we like it, it goes back to the end of the queue. Right now our main priority is our "calypso jam" :lol:

I've got to be honest,I really don't like that. A lot of bands seem to play some kind of lame funk-esque type jam in
those situations,and often it's horrible.
[/quote]

ouch, that could well be us! :lol:

it certainly was last week... most people seemed to like it, but it was not our most inspired moment., I have to admit.

I feel it's ok (obviously, or I would not do it!) as long as it is not long. A funky jam, even if not very inspired, if it's only a couple of minutes long, keeps the attention on the band (2 minutes of silence would be an eternity) and it's not long enough to bore people even when it doesn't quite overflow with inspiration.

We've actually sometimes gone back after a gig "hey, that jam.. that was interesting, I'm sure we can work on that" and a couple of times it has given ideas for a song. Well, once a song, anotehr time for another section in an already written song.

Surely you can continue a set without doing this,especially as there is another guitar player? It doesn't take long to change a string.
[/quote]

we could push ahead, but for the sake of a couple of minutes, we'd rather be "complete".
In this case the guitarist is also the main singer. We have three guitarists, with very well defined roles. Some songs are easy to do with one or another. In fact, in some songs the singer does not really play except a couple of embellishments or a short solo. We have pushed ahead even when rhythm guitarist broke two strings, as we could take a break soon and we played songs that would not suffer much. But we prefer to have a short jam and get our full complement of strings if possible.

[/quote]

I don't hide... but in a 6-piece band, with four microphones at the front (the three guitarists either sing or do backing vocals, plus a trumpet player who has become the star with his dance moves and we need to put him in front), sometimes I'm just happy I can just about shuffle my feet a little where we are... It's amazing how small some stages are (clearly we are not playing Wembley ;)) and how a little determination allows you to put six people plus amps and drumkit on a pinhead :lol:

But I know the ones you mean. Not only bass players. I went to see my friend's first gig on guitar once... and I could not see him at all. I thought maybe it was the angle, where I was... so I moved... no joy. He was truly hiding behind some large speakers in a corner. It was a two guitar band... but you only ever saw one.
We laughed at him a bit about that afterwards. He confessed he felt terrified with all his mates watching him.
He got over that 'though.

I'm not a spotlight-lover, but I do like to be seen and we do move about on stage a fair bit when we can. WE have a fair amount of interaction among ourselves and it shows we are having fun. It's soemthing people have often commented on, that we seem to be having fun while we play.
I find it amazing how many bands just get up there and play looking like it's a chore to them. I don't get it. I guess in some styles it's part of the look... and we are most definitely a "good time" fun band... but still.

I find a spare guitar works best. One new years eve my E-string machinehead broke before we'd even played a note. No spare bass. I had to restring my whole bass moving the E up to the A and so on. Took less than 2 minutes. Then I played with no G-string for the whole night. The band carried on regardless and I joined them in the third verse.

They didn't notice the bass player, until I came in!

The audience generally won't notice unless you're a three piece and your guitarist sings. In wich case he should practice singing while re-stringing ;)

Now I always take my old passive bass just in case, no batteries, old set of strings but works in an emergency. Never had to use it since though.

Edited by TimR

We always have a rendition of 'Fever' on standby for string breaks, just bass, drums and vocals. Although since I suggested bringing a f****ng spare guitar to paid engagements (and I can't believe I had to do this after the guitard bragged about how many he has sitting at home :rolleyes:), we don't get to play it much...

All the guitarists I play with who break strings have a second guitar sitting beside the amp. Even so, sometimes the shout goes up for a drum solo.

Me and stages have a complicated relationship. I want to be seen so I don't like people standing in front of me, but even so, I'm really a “stand at the back” kind of guy. I'm playing with the drummer more than the front line so I naturally gravitate back there as the rhythm unit.

I think I get noticed, I play loud enough to be noticed, but probably to audiences it's in a "what's missing?" kind of way, if I stop. I know I’m not the “star of the show” on stage so don't expect audiences to notice me that much, but if I can make the drummer and the rest of the band happy then its job done.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350987228' post='1845808']
I think I get noticed, I play loud enough to be noticed, but probably to audiences it's in a "what's missing?" kind of way, if I stop. I know I’m not the “star of the show” on stage so don't expect audiences to notice me that much, but if I can make the drummer and the rest of the band happy then its job done.
[/quote]

This. Just this. B)

They notice me.

If you're not getting noticed - and you want to be (because some folk don'twhich is fair enough) - then it's your own fault , nobody elses. Of course some....many... people are stupid and wouldn't know a bass guitar from a garage door but all this self deprecating 'down trodden bass player' stuff is just horse sh*t.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1350934318' post='1845322']...that guy turns to our "interesting" guy and says "the bass player? the bass player... is a twat!!!"...[/quote]

Maybe '[i]that [/i]guy' knows you personally; nothing to do with your bass playing..? :P

Nice clip, though; nothing 'twatty' about the bass in that. Thumb's up.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1351005087' post='1846093']
hey, this is my thread, about what I do and what I like...
it's not about whether you like to be noticed or not, or whether your guitari...

ah, nobody notices what I say anyway! :(

:P :D
[/quote] the guy who called you a twat could at least have mustered a 'radge' :P :D - my all time fave Scottish word from many months working in Edinburgh back in the day.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1351007309' post='1846129']
Maybe '[i]that [/i]guy' knows you personally; nothing to do with your bass playing..? :P

Nice clip, though; nothing 'twatty' about the bass in that. Thumb's up.
[/quote]

ha ha, it is a real possibility, that! :lol:

I never say he was not right... I do have my twatty moments. :blush:

Thanks for the comments on the clip. Can't wait until it's all done and sounding nice. Although I detest my playing in a couple of songs. But nobody seems to notice... oh dear, here I go again :unsure: :( :P

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1351009687' post='1846182']
the guy who called you a twat could at least have mustered a 'radge' :P :D - my all time fave Scottish word from many months working in Edinburgh back in the day.
[/quote]

:)

indeed!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1351010184' post='1846196']
........................................ sorry - did somebody say something ?? B)
[/quote]

erm... I think you want the guitarist, that guy over there. I'm only the bass p... hey! I didn't even finish the sentence!!!

;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1351007309' post='1846129']
[/quote]
Perhaps there is a more personal reason?

Years ago a guy used to come and see a band I was in and always used talk to the guitarist afterwards, telling him that the band was great but should get rid of the bass player as he was crap!

We had to explain that perhaps he was a little bit biased in his assessment of my abilities, possibly because I had slept with his girlfriend!

Edited by peteb