Why become a member? ×

Does anyone understand ASIO?

spinynorman

I'm not generally recording, mostly just playing along to audio tracks for practice. But the principles are the same. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. I've tried a Line6 Toneport UX1 as an interface, but didn't get on with it for various reasons and it's gone.

What I have now is a Lindy USB interface cable and either the free versions of Amplitube or NI Guitar Rig 5, with ASIO4ALL. This works OK for playing along with mp3s, because both amp programs have embedded mp3 players, though they wouldn't be my first choice. The problem comes playing along to anything else, such as Best Practice, or Youtube, or a separate music player. Anything outside the program that's using ASIO4ALL either doesn't play or comes through the laptop speakers, not the headphones.

I found a multi-ASIO server program on the Steinberg site, but using that Amplitube hangs and it doesn't see Guitar Rig at all. Also found an open source project call Jack that seems like it might solve the problem if it worked, but it loads with a stream of error messages. ASIO4ALL manual doesn't help either.

Has anyone found a solution to using ASIO4ALL with multiple audio sources?

i've had similar problems using a USB interface and then trying to use winamp with internal sound.

it just doesn't like switching, sometimes does it fine with the selector in asio4all...sometimes it just doesn't.

sorry, no suggestions, just that i feel your pain.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1351451336' post='1851368']
I have a CASIO watch. Not sure about ASIO ... Are they related?
[/quote]

Ha ha! Now you're going to tell me you've got a Mac and you don't have to worry about all this ASIO rubbish.

While clearing out some junk our son left behind, I found a Casio Digital Diary, which I think must have been mine originally. I checked them out on eBay and to my surprise found they come up regularly and usually fetch about £10. I also still have one of the early Casio "pocket" calculators, and still use it. The keypad on it is way better than anything I had later.

So, having hijacked my own thread, I'll go back to my ASIO problem. I never had this trouble with a succession of old Thinkpads with XP, only since I "upgraded" to Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion with SRS Premium Sound.

I have all of my computers sound going into my interface. I think it's through sending the direct sound in your audio properties into the interface. Any sound on my PC goes into my interface, Windows sounds, YouTube videos, games, music players etc. I usually practice by taking guitar pro files and muting the bass to use as a backing track and then running my bass through AmpliTube. I'll be able to be more helpful when I'm at my PC and not just on my phone.