Why become a member? ×

Installing Stingray mutes on an OLP?

mcnach

I have one remaining OLP in my stable. It's one of the "mk2" types, with the nicer contours and big plate bridge.
I'm going to be installing in it the 2EQ preamp 'tommorichards' assembled, and I thought "hmmm, I wonder if I could install a set of mutes here". They only cost <£25, and it could be quite interesting.

Has anybody experience installing these mutes in non-Stingray mute-equipped instruments?
I gather that with the kit I'll get the springy bent metal part, with the pads, and the thumb screws.
I would just have to get 4 metal inserts that those thumb screws can screw into, and drill the metal plate and into the body to install the inserts in. It does not seem scary.

Anybody has any words of warning (or encouragement!), experiences?

Edited by mcnach

I would get one of those cheap copy bridges off ebay as they have the extra metal that the pre EB bridge has for the spring plate to wrap around, it will be floating in fresh air else wont it? Get the kit then just bond 4 matching nuts into the body to create the captive threads, there is not much tension on them really. The only thing is that it wont be reversable as the holes will all be on show if you put the old bridge back on. Should be good though or just get a pre EB you know you want to! ;) btw I have bought another one :)

OT but as an avid fan :lol: David Barron has a track on the front of next months Prog Magazine with some top notch bass playing by a certain someone this time, its that track from the video we did but the proper version with my lines etc.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1351533272' post='1852293']
I would get one of those cheap copy bridges off ebay as they have the extra metal that the pre EB bridge has for the spring plate to wrap around, it will be floating in fresh air else wont it? Get the kit then just bond 4 matching nuts into the body to create the captive threads, there is not much tension on them really. The only thing is that it wont be reversable as the holes will all be on show if you put the old bridge back on.
[/quote]

This is the OLP in question, I think that bridge should be ok, shouldn't it?
so much blank space is calling for something to be installed there! :lol:

Should be good though or just get a pre EB you know you want to! ;) btw I have bought another one :)
[/quote]

another? :)
where's all the pictureage???

I'm sure one day a preEB will be mine. I'm avoiding coming in too close contact with them for now, in case one speaks to me... and I can't say no :P

OT but as an avid fan :lol: David Barron has a track on the front of next months Prog Magazine with some top notch bass playing by a certain someone this time, its that track from the video we did but the proper version with my lines etc.
[/quote]

great! Glad you got your lines there in the end!
I'll try to keep an eye out for it... but you can always remind us when it's out ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1351534780' post='1852321']
This is the OLP in question, I think that bridge should be ok, shouldn't it?
so much blank space is calling for something to be installed there! :lol:

[/quote]

This is what they look like fitted, in detail - not sure if they'll fit between the back of your pickguard and the bridge.

Note these are on EB 4 string basses up to the mid 90s and well as the Classics from 2010, as well as the pre EBs.

[attachment=122300:12082010700.jpg][attachment=122301:15082010704.jpg][attachment=122302:15082010705.jpg]

Thanks for the detailed pictures :)

I think it can work. The pickguard is actually leaving a gap of about 3mm from the bridge. That picture above is not the "final" product: as you can see, it is not screwed in. I actually moved the pickup a tiny bit towards the neck, to close the gap between the pickguard and the neck... the routing on the OLPs is not like on Stingrays, it's just a big wide hole, so it's easy to slightly reposition the pickup. That resulted in leaving a 3mm-ish gap between the pickguard and the bridge, which is just what I need.

I had not noticed the bottom metal parts go under the bridge. I thought they were screwed from the top. That means the bridge would not sit perfectly... but it would be easy to remove that 1mm or so from the top of the body under the bridge with my router...

I think I will give it a try. First without routing, and see how I like it. If I then like it and think it will work ok... I'll get the router out.

It seems doable :)

I think you could probably use a bench grinder to create the little recess in the back of the bridge failing that the spring plate is really only about .5mm anyway so it might just squash down, I did not realise the OLP had the big flat area like the ebay ones so its crying out for the mute kit!

I will send you a link when its up Jose for the Mag cover, I'm not really sure exactly what is going on there myself :lol: 28'000 copies though :o

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1351543923' post='1852483']
I think you could probably use a bench grinder to create the little recess in the back of the bridge failing that the spring plate is really only about .5mm anyway so it might just squash down, I did not realise the OLP had the big flat area like the ebay ones so its crying out for the mute kit!

I will send you a link when its up Jose for the Mag cover, I'm not really sure exactly what is going on there myself :lol: 28'000 copies though :o
[/quote]

I don't have one of those machines... I do have a router ;)
But if it's that thin it may be ok without. I'll try.

The later OLPs (like the one that was my main one, "Natillas") have the smaller bridge very much like modern Stingrays. Previous models have this very large plate ones... and like you say: they are screaming for something to be added there!

Yay for the link! :)

You could just go for the classic bridge (well, the nowadays common bridge)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-4-String-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-FOR-MUSIC-MAN-Style-Guitar-New-/270981819531?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f17c66c8b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-4-String-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-FOR-MUSIC-MAN-Style-Guitar-New-/270981819531?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f17c66c8b[/url]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1351543923' post='1852483']

[/quote]

The spring plates are far less than 5 mm thick - I'd say 1 mm or less. The only recess on the Classic bridge appears to be at the front edge - if you look carefully you can see the four plates fit into the recess, which is about 1 or 2 mm deep. I've just checked my 93 fretless and it has the same system. I suspect the plates are just wedged between the bridge and body, and into the front edge slot to keep them in place laterally. I'd go for it - if it doesn't fit I'm sure you'll be able to sell the mute assembly without a problem.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1351545378' post='1852516']
what's the foam bit like ? quite dense ? My 79 has all the mechanics but someone took the foam off, might try it, I assume the foam is just glued on ?
[/quote]

The foam bit is similar to the innards of a mousemat, but without the smooth covering. It's a bit thicker as well. They are glued on.

The pre EBs seem to be notorious for losing them - I had one from new and the G string mute disappeared during a gig on a dark stage after I'd had the bass for about a month - if you look at pictures of Pino's fretless Ray whilst with Paul Young, IIRC at least one of the mutes is missing off his. Presumably glue technology wasn't what it is now, back then!! The modern ones appear to stay put.

If I had a pre EB with missing mutes, and I wanted it to be fully functional, I would certainly consider buying the mute kit which McNach is referring to, which is an EBMM part.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1351558677' post='1852719']
The spring plates are far less than 5 mm thick - I'd say 1 mm or less. The only recess on the Classic bridge appears to be at the front edge - if you look carefully you can see the four plates fit into the recess, which is about 1 or 2 mm deep. I've just checked my 93 fretless and it has the same system. I suspect the plates are just wedged between the bridge and body, and into the front edge slot to keep them in place laterally. I'd go for it - if it doesn't fit I'm sure you'll be able to sell the mute assembly without a problem.

The foam bit is similar to the innards of a mousemat, but without the smooth covering. It's a bit thicker as well. They are glued on.

The pre EBs seem to be notorious for losing them - I had one from new and the G string mute disappeared during a gig on a dark stage after I'd had the bass for about a month - if you look at pictures of Pino's fretless Ray whilst with Paul Young, IIRC at least one of the mutes is missing off his. Presumably glue technology wasn't what it is now, back then!! The modern ones appear to stay put.

If I had a pre EB with missing mutes, and I wanted it to be fully functional, I would certainly consider buying the mute kit which McNach is referring to, which is an EBMM part.
[/quote]

I think stingrayPete meant 0.5mm rather than 5mm. Indeed, from the pictures they look very thin.

I'm going to go for it.

and ordered! :)

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1351558677' post='1852719']
[/quote]

Thanks DocT but there's nothing EBMM going on my pre EB, I have everything but the foam anyway, spring plates, screws etc. Searching now for the right mousemat to lay down it's life for the cause. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1351617220' post='1853333']
Thanks DocT but there's nothing EBMM going on my pre EB, I have everything but the foam anyway, spring plates, screws etc. Searching now for the right mousemat to lay down it's life for the cause. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Double thickness might do it.

The thing is, a lot of the parts are the same as the pre EB. If it was me I'd buy the kit and just use the spring mounts/pads and keep the original ones in case you want to sell the bass - personal preference but I think they look better than the home made ones I've seen.

The later thumb screws have a different diameter from the pre EB.

Edited by drTStingray