Why become a member? ×

Humming Orange Crush

Japlick

Can anyone suggest a quick (and cheap!) fix for my Orange practice amp. It's hardly been used but now constantly blows it's main fuse when replaced. It started going 'funny' after i used a twin jack socket to play bass & guitar simultaneously through it with a friend..possibly not a good idea. I've replaced the fuse with a non-blow type and it now just hums & growls angrily at me. It's out of warranty so not really worth paying anyone to fix it..think they retail new at around £80? Got a little video clip if anyone wants to see it. Any help appreciated!

I can't give any advice about the fault other than to suggest that it sounds like something is shorting out. However replacing a fuse with a 'non-blow type' is probably a really, really bad idea. The reason the fuse is there is so that a cheap and easily replaceable component will blow, rather than the entire amp going up in a puff of smoke. Worst case scenario: the chassis is live and you're risking frying yourself.

I can hum uberberlin by REM but not Orange crush!

I had an Orange crush, 2 of them from new.....1st one died after a week, 2nd would play for a 30 mins then hum and work intermittently....would work again after cooling down. I changed the speaker for celestion, still crapped out....my thinking was that mains transformers are marginal at best, this would be the 1st place I'd check.

I forgot how much I hated those 'amps'....looked great though!