Why become a member? ×

Mono cases , M80 , dual bass case

Chris Horton

Yep, I've got one. Expensive but worth it. Strong, well made and lots of pockets for storage. There's no hiding the fact that it is heavy with 2 basses in it but I regularly carry 2 basses on public transport and it's comfortable enough on my back.

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1351790256' post='1855479']
Yep, I've got one. Expensive but worth it. Strong, well made and lots of pockets for storage. There's no hiding the fact that it is heavy with 2 basses in it but I regularly carry 2 basses on public transport and it's comfortable enough on my back.
[/quote]

That's great , thanks for the reply :)
Out of interest , what basses do you put in it ?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352030996' post='1857910']
But all the other semi-rigid cases are considerably heavier than the Mono ones. An important factor IMO for a case design to be carried for any distance.
[/quote]

The iGig is not considerably heavier and I find it very comfortable to wear on my back IMO.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352029626' post='1857885']
Just a word of caution...

I have an M80 single bass case and I don't find it particularly comfortable to wear on my back which sort of defeats the object as I bought it to enable to walk to rehearsals (approx 35 minutes walking) with my bass.
[/quote]

Oh , I wasn't expecting that :(

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1352064327' post='1858401']
That's really cool to know, I've been looking at their twin bass gig bags online... :)
[/quote]

Don't rule out the Ritter one. I've been very pleased with mine. if you're ever Derby way pop in and have a look.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1352064808' post='1858413']
Don't rule out the Ritter one. I've been very pleased with mine. if you're ever Derby way pop in and have a look.
[/quote]

They do look pretty good, but I like the amount of storage space on the iGig ones, I'd be able to shove my amp and all my leads, tools, spare strings and laptop in my bag then! :)

Also the last Ritter bag I owned fell to pieces after about a year :unsure:

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1352056477' post='1858259']
The iGig is not considerably heavier and I find it very comfortable to wear on my back IMO.
[/quote]

Actually that's interesting - just had a look at the Mono and iGig sites and while the single Mono bag is much lighter than the equivalent iGig bag the dual ones weigh almost the same amount - not at all what I expected.

After my experience with the Mono bag which IMO is great for protecting your instrument but not a lot of fun to carry on your back for any serious length of time, I will never buy another gig bag without trying it out first.

Also while lots of storage space in the bag is a good idea in principle, in practice it's going to make what is already a heavy bag plus 2 basses even heavier. It would have to be fantastically comfortable to wear and I'd want to try it full of all the stuff I intended to put in it before parting with any money.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352137893' post='1859239']

Actually that's interesting - just had a look at the Mono and iGig sites and while the single Mono bag is much lighter than the equivalent iGig bag the dual ones weigh almost the same amount - not at all what I expected.

After my experience with the Mono bag which IMO is great for protecting your instrument but not a lot of fun to carry on your back for any serious length of time, I will never buy another gig bag without trying it out first.

Also while lots of storage space in the bag is a good idea in principle, in practice it's going to make what is already a heavy bag plus 2 basses even heavier. It would have to be fantastically comfortable to wear and I'd want to try it full of all the stuff I intended to put in it before parting with any money.
[/quote]

If we we're closer I'd let you borrow mine to see what your thoughts are as I am not gigging at the mo. I've been looking at the Monos for my spare.

I have an M80 and a Protec Contego. Because the Mono is moulded to the shape of the neck, the top of the shoulder straps have to be very close together, which I don't find comfortable. The Protec is wider at that point, so the tops of the straps can be a bit further apart, and I find this more comfortable. The Protec is heavier, but the comfort factor wins every time.

This [quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352137893' post='1859239']

[/quote]

The weight/comfort point is a good one. Thomann do a wheeled one:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gard_gwt_14_trolley_f_2_e_baesse.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/gard_gwt_14_trolley_f_2_e_baesse.htm[/url]

Looks interesting although my concern is that whole point of a gigbag - imo - is to cut down on the weight an hassle. Whilst this looks pretty servicable it's kind of heading towards a case. I suppose you still have the convenience of two basses in one.

I checked out the mono the other day, looks great but it was a little heavy with two basses in (albeit one was a hefty 7 string).