Why become a member? ×

210/115 cab combination.

Marvin

That was the sell of a few years ago, and with the low power ratings of chassis, it worked ok.
I don't think there is any advantage today ..as the 115 cab will invariably be heavier and/or bigger for the same 300-ish power rating.
A decent 210 will do that easily..so you may as well have 2x210..??

You might get the cabs to stacks a few cms higher..?? but this is negated by decent cabs anyway, IMO. Both my 2x112 and 2x210 rigs
are heard by me on small-ish stages from wherever I might stand

I used 115 plus 210 configs and I liked them, it is just that 2x210 looses nothing over them and you would probably get 2 horns in the cabs.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1352050088' post='1858167']
[b]That was the sell of a few years ago,[/b] and with the low power ratings of chassis, it worked ok.
I don't think there is any advantage today ..as the 115 cab will invariably be heavier and/or bigger for the same 300-ish power rating.
A decent 210 will do that easily..so you may as well have 2x210..??

You might get the cabs to stacks a few cms higher..?? but this is negated by decent cabs anyway, IMO. Both my 2x112 and 2x210 rigs
are heard by me on small-ish stages from wherever I might stand

I used 115 plus 210 configs and I liked them, it is just that 2x210 looses nothing over them and you would probably get 2 horns in the cabs.
[/quote]

It being the 'sell' of a few years ago may explain why quite a few are coming up second hand, as people move them for newer gear and different combinations.

I used to use this config - my first 'proper' rig.

I was under the impression it would give good balance to the sound - obviously not quite right!! However, the rig worked well and it did also look cool. I only ever struggled for volume on one occassion in a marquee with 450w going through it. Good for all the pubs I did though and I still think it looked pretty cool!!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1352050552' post='1858174']
Its better than the 15 + 4x10 thing because the sensitivity is closer matched. The phase matching is still down to chance though.
[/quote]

Having read the numerous threads on cab combinations (must admit I was a little hesitant about starting this thread for those reasons but my curiosity got the better of me) the 15 and 210 being closer matched is why i thought people may prefer it to a 115/410 rig.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1352050088' post='1858167']
....That was the sell of a few years ago, and with the low power ratings of chassis, it worked ok....
[/quote]

+1

If you’re on a tight budget this combination might work with cheaper cabs, but the quality of cabs and speakers these days has moved the game way beyond this set up.

I'm an ex 210 + 115 player, Mesa Boogie/EV. That was a fantastic sounding rig and I'd recommend it anyone but these days I'm getting far more bass out of 2 quality 210's, and also out of my 2 112 cabs.

I`ve used a fair few rigs comprising 210 & 115, and they`ve all sounded great. I know there`s a lot of technical advice on this issue, but to me, if it sounds good, that`s the main thing. Of course, if something sounds better, then that`s the way to go, but in these cases the ears should make the decision.