Why become a member? ×

removing string binding

paul torch

I'm posting this here as I think it may get a quicker response.

The binding of my strings sits on the saddles of my bridge. Someone suggested that I could burn the binding away using a lighter.

I did this (quite easy) but am not sure about how the string looks under neath.

Could someone take a quick look at the attached pic please and tell me what they think.

Cheers,

Paul

I've got a schaller 3D bridge I was thinking of replacing the Gibson bridge with. It's a new bass though so I was going to live with it for a month or so before doing too many "mods" on it. I've also got a Dimarzio Model One I was thinking of replacing the neck pickup with.

So, do you think I've knackered the string?

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1352287387' post='1861033']
I've got a schaller 3D bridge I was thinking of replacing the Gibson bridge with. It's a new bass though so I was going to live with it for a month or so before doing too many "mods" on it. I've also got a Dimarzio Model One I was thinking of replacing the neck pickup with.

So, do you think I've knackered the string?
[/quote]

I'd replace the bridge asap. No way I would personally trust that string on a stage. The silk is there to help prevent an unwrap. I'll f*** with a bass to my heart's content, but I treat strings with great respect.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1352287552' post='1861036']
Don't think you've knackered the string, but I think you could be knackering the tone/sustain of the string - albeit marginally.

EDIT: If it's new, I would think a call to the supplier might be in order.
[/quote]

when I say new, I mean new to me.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1352287944' post='1861043']
OK, in that case, if you're a reasonably competent DIYer, then a replacement might be in order. Making sure that the strings are anchored further back.
[/quote]

I'm a little nervous, I've been happy in the past to undertake such work myself but this is a better quality instrument than I'm used to modding.

Is there someone you would recommend in the London area to do the job.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1352288343' post='1861049']
I'm a little nervous, I've been happy in the past to undertake such work myself but this is a better quality instrument than I'm used to modding.

Is there someone you would recommend in the London area to do the job.
[/quote]
I've used Chandlers at Kew a few times over the years: refret to respray, without any problems.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1352286393' post='1861015']The binding of my strings sits on the saddles of my bridge. Someone suggested that I could burn the binding away using a lighter.[/quote]
That was me - probably - I've been doing it for around 12 years, on my Birch custom and Epi EB3. Only had to do it on the E using Rotosounds and never had any issues with it either from breakage or change of tone. Personally I only remove enough to clear it of the saddle.

I do however agree whole-heartedly with Nige's............
[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1352286919' post='1861023']I think it's a crap Gibson bridge design.[/quote]
............. and if I ever find another I'll be putting a John Birch bridge in the Epi, but for now my Zippo does the job, though since I've never smoked it's the rare excuse I have to play with my........ which seemed an essential purchase, since I was a major consumer back in the day.

Edited by Big_Stu

...some guy on US EBay sells a cylindrical bar dealio which the strings pass through first before they go through the guides on the bridge. If I wasn't on my mobile I'd post a link....costs about $30. Might be worth a Google. I found it by accident when looking for mute for an EB3.