Why become a member? ×

Opinions On Options Please...

bassjamm

It's not so much more lows, as a smaller box for equal lows compared to a 1x12". But because the net internal volume is smaller the port has to be longer to get the same tuning frequency, plus you need space for the second woofer and the isobaric chamber, and then add on the thickness of the plywood, so instead of an isobaric 2x12" having the same performance as a normal 1x12" but being 50% of the size, it ends up being about 75% of the size (and obviously you have the extra weight and cost of the second woofer). Plus if the woofers are running full-range then you'll get comb filtering through the mids and treble as the rear woofer actually fires through the front woofer, so some frequencies are reinforced and some cancelled depending on their phase relationship.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1352977731' post='1869973']
It's not so much more lows, as a smaller box for equal lows compared to a 1x12". But because the net internal volume is smaller the port has to be longer to get the same tuning frequency, plus you need space for the second woofer and the isobaric chamber, and then add on the thickness of the plywood, so instead of an isobaric 2x12" having the same performance as a normal 1x12" but being 50% of the size, it ends up being about 75% of the size (and obviously you have the extra weight and cost of the second woofer). Plus if the woofers are running full-range then you'll get comb filtering through the mids and treble as the rear woofer actually fires through the front woofer, so some frequencies are reinforced and some cancelled depending on their phase relationship.
[/quote]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1352926094' post='1869525']
compared to a 2x12 its less of everything, but more lows in comparison. compared to a 1x12, its more lows from a slightly smaller box (because the extra space from the other driver and isobaric chamber and port are all wasted for internal volume purposes).
[/quote]

Thanks guys, I'm glad some of you know what you're talking about, so in summary, Isobaric - not so good, for some I guess.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1353315283' post='1873419']
This little combo might be a good shot mate?...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161860-tecamp-puma-110-combo-l500/"]http://basschat.co.u...110-combo-l500/[/url]

Eude
[/quote]

Thanks for that mate.

I'm reconsidering my options at the moment...kind of thinking I might get myself a Genz-Benz Streamliner as it'll work as a practice tool with the headphone out and aux in, and then get myself a cab later on.

We'll see though, but thanks for the heads up on that.

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1353315448' post='1873422']
Thanks for that mate.

I'm reconsidering my options at the moment...kind of thinking I might get myself a Genz-Benz Streamliner as it'll work as a practice tool with the headphone out and aux in, and then get myself a cab later on.

We'll see though, but thanks for the heads up on that.
[/quote]

No bother dude, sounds like the Streamliner would be a good bet too. I think that's probably the only thing I would part with my Promethean for to be honest.
Best of luck!

Eude