Why become a member? ×

Damaged my Full Circle pickup - yay, fixed!

Clarky

Hi all, I was just about to soundcheck at our gig last night and accidentally snagged my pickup lead on an amp, wrenching the jack socket of my FC pickup off my 3/4 bass quite forcibly. After reinstalling the jack socket on the string after-length I had a major problem - notes on the A string were quacking and making a nasty electronic clank and the E was totally muffled. I tried the FC through my Headway as a DI, sidestepping my Acoustic Image amp, and the problem was identical - basically it was unusable (thankfully the gig was near my home and my lovely wife came to the rescue in a taxi with my Kolstein bass)

I assume I have jerked the pickup wire and that this has damaged the FC. Any suggestions about what I should do here, folks? Have I killed it, which makes it an expensive accident?

Edited by Clarky

Thanks. It is indeed a piezo (with a painfully thin bit of wire leading from the piezo element, which is hidden within a circular bridge adjuster, to the jack socket). Because of the design I wouldn't know how to re-build and I have a horrible suspicion that to get it repaired would cost nearly as much as a new one

[attachment=123820:420_medium.jpg]

Has it dislodged the bridge at all?

if the bridge angle has altered and not sitting squarely on the disc it could be the cause of the poor sound.

If it is the cable it repair depends on which version you have.

Early models are sealed and afaik can't be repaired.

Later models have 4 tiny screws on the non threaded side which suggests to me that it takes apart.

good luck!

Thank you gents I will have a play around with the bridge and its siting tonight and see if it makes any difference - I will also check which vrsuion of the FC I have, Keith

If its b*ggered, I am tempted for cost reasons to just snip the wire, use the wheels as pure bridge adjusters, and whack on a 'normal' wing piezo (I have a spare BassMax)

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1353003331' post='1870425']
HI Clarky
A few years ago my FC packed up , I sent it to Fishman who generously fixed it. You could sound them out for the cost of repair in the meantime. It might still be under warranty.
[/quote]
Thanks Peter, the FC came on the bass when I bought it from BC'er Emlyn at the start of this year. I think its several years old so I doubt its under warranty. Also I guess I would have to replace the bridge if I sent the FC off for repair to the US - and that would also require a luthier to fit either replacement adjuster wheels or a temporary bridge. Whichever way I look at it, its going to cost! The other issue I have is there are no DB luthiers near me any more, now that Malcolm Healey has semi-retired and moved down south of the M25.

My best hope is playing with the bridge and the wheels and hoping the FC returns Lazarus-like from the dead!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1353004122' post='1870432']
Also I guess I would have to replace the bridge if I sent the FC off for repair to the US - and that would also require a luthier to fit either replacement adjuster wheels or a temporary bridge.

[/quote]
Hi Clarky
You could put a set of adjusters on easy enough on your existing bridge or even one adjuster as you only need to repair the adjuster that contains the piezo. Just Check the FC fitting. It comes in two sizes. It's not that scary. Just put the bass on its back loosen the strings and lift off the bridge. You can put a weight on the Bass top if you think it'll help eg some heavy books or get someone to press down while you swap adjusters. It only takes a minute. Good luck

Well gents I am a bit ashamed to say that re-fitting the bridge (which I can see now I am not on a darkened stage was wrenched too, so that the E foot was at an angle to the adjuster wheel) has solved the problem. The good news is it is fixed. I am, however, embarrassed to have solicited your advice when I should have waited to try some bridge adjustment first.

Still all's well that ends well :-)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1353014434' post='1870622']
Is there anything you can do to prevent same again, cable ties? break away lead / connector? looped cable to give 'safety margin'?

Glad to hear all is good though.
[/quote]
The two things I can do are (1) use a pair of pliers to tighten the jack mounting on the string after-lengths and (2) not be a dumbass and move the bass with the lead plugged in!

It's happened to me a few times with the full circle & bassmax

Those after length fittings are not the best design, trouble with the bassmax is the cable is too short for an alternative fixing.

If one must use this type of jack mounting it's advisable to wrap the instrument cord around the tailpiece a couple of turns or use a cable tie to prevent the mounting being pulled away.

Then if you trip on the cable the pup is safe, you only risk breaking the neck :lol:

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1353019827' post='1870721']
It's happened to me a few times with the full circle & bassmax

Those after length fittings are not the best design, trouble with the bassmax is the cable is too short for an alternative fixing.

If one must use this type of jack mounting it's advisable to wrap the instrument cord around the tailpiece a couple of turns or use a cable tie to prevent the mounting being pulled away.

Then if you trip on the cable the pup is safe, you only risk breaking the neck :lol:
[/quote]
Good advice. I must confess, however, that I continue to use the string afterlength bracket because it is serving very well as a wolf eliminator on my E and A strings, which clarified my tone significantly.

Our eldest uses magnetis 'snap-on' jacks. If a lead is pulled hard enough to cause damage, it comes free. It doesn't come off whilst playing, at all. Not sure if they're exactly these, but same principle...

[url="http://www.zzounds.com/item--JODSNAPJACK"]http://www.zzounds.com/item--JODSNAPJACK[/url]

...Could be useful..?

Excellent, happy ending.
I have just one word of advice on jacks and leads ... WIRELESS

it's not just about running around the stage and venue, it's about not getting electrocuted (it happens) and about not snagging cables and damaging delicate equipment. And running about the stage. And arsing about with bass antics.

Great you got sorted. Don't apologise for the post though, cos it's a timely warning for most of us, I'd guess. I'm gonna start winding the cable round the tailpiece from now on.

I had someone step on my lead soundchecking Friday night and it pulled the string clamp thingy off but thankfully that's all. Wireless sounds great, but I'm always wary of adding another thing to go wrong. How reliable are they?