Why become a member? ×

schaller bridge spacers

paul torch

I'm going to replace the stock bridge on my gibson sg with a schaller 3D.

I have noticed that even with the supplied spacer the string height is still going to be about 1-2 mm too low.

Is it ok to use more than one spacer? alternatively I was thinking about making one from mahogany with a slightly larger footprint so that it hides the the post holes from the original bridge. Does anyone see any problems I may have doing this?

Cheers,

paul

For stability, the best solution is to rout out the bass in the size of the bridge and glue in a piece of wood, preferably maple or the same as the body or top (if it has a separate top) of the bass, so half of it will lend stability and the other half raises the bridge as necessary.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1353165628' post='1872312']
I'm going to replace the stock bridge on my gibson sg with a schaller 3D.

I have noticed that even with the supplied spacer the string height is still going to be about 1-2 mm too low.

Is it ok to use more than one spacer? alternatively I was thinking about making one from mahogany with a slightly larger footprint so that it hides the the post holes from the original bridge. Does anyone see any problems I may have doing this?

Cheers,

paul
[/quote]

Why not use a Hipshot Supertone? So much easier, no modifications required.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1353285419' post='1873341']
For stability, the best solution is to rout out the bass in the size of the bridge and glue in a piece of wood, preferably maple or the same as the body or top (if it has a separate top) of the bass, so half of it will lend stability and the other half raises the bridge as necessary.
[/quote]

I'd rather not do anything too drastic to the bass as I may want to put the original parts back on if I come to sell.

I've managed to get my hands on an extra spacer so I'll probably give that a go.

I'm going off the idea of a wooden spacer for a couple of reasons. One being the contact with the bass leaving me unsure as to how it would effect the tone. The other came about after a conversation with my brother who does a lot of work on old bikes. His way of working is to not hide any modification work but to leave any bits showing that point to the original way the bike was built.

I'll let you know if I change my mind though.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Paul