Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA3500

ianrendall

Just purchased on eBay a Hartke HA3500 for £200.
Is anyone able to tell from the picture I've posted whether this amp is a Chinese or US made model, if indeed they ever were made in the US of course.
It doesn't really make any odds to me, just interested to know. I did ask the seller, but he'd boxed and shipped it before he could check.
Also, how long are the valves supposed to last on these amps, as a ballpark rule, and if the valve should fail, will the SS pre amp still function without a working valve?
Thank you in advance you clever people.

Yes, the SS preamp works independently of the valve. I know this because when I acquired my 3500 the valve side was bust. The valve was fine (it glowed, so the heater was getting power) but it was actually a burned out resistor in the signal path to/from the valve. Replaced it and some of the caps around it in case they were what caused the resistor to burn up. Worked fine for years afterwards, don't have it any more, had no angry phonecall from new owner so I assume all is still well ;)

+1
I think that one looks like an earlier model, mine was China and it was silver/grey, but also came in a wooden box, not rackmount. The valve pre is really good in those, the 12ax7 valve should last a lifetime in that position - its power valves that need regular replacement (this doesn't have those its SS), but you might want to change for tone, the stock ones were nothing to write about, stick a Mullard clone in there and it'll sound huge!

You've got a good amp there, I miss mine.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1353682209' post='1877388']
+1
I think that one looks like an earlier model, mine was China and it was silver/grey, but also came in a wooden box, not rackmount.
[/quote]

Later models (including current) are black and blue like the one pictured and are made in China. So, it's hard to tell visually from the front. I *think* that later models have an effects blend knob on the back, maybe earlier didn't, but don't quote me on that :)

I have a current 5500 as well as the Kilo and they are great lil amps!

Thanks for all the replies and information, very helpful. Getting into the valve thing now. I'd like a valve that provides a natural sounding slight overdrive (perhaps by design), especially when playing with a bridge pickup bias. FYI I'm playing an MTD KZ5. The cab I'll be using is a Hartke 410 Transporter.

• 5 months later...

Just a little update to this thread.
Sold the 410 cab and got myself a MAG 115 Deep and a lovely 96 MIJ 57 RI Precision.
I play in a 20 piece big band and the sound I can get is perfect for the style. I just don't understand why it's taken me so long to go back to the P bass after 10 years of 5 strings with OTT controls. Simplifying my stuff means no constant tweaking of knobs and dials, I can just concentrate on the dots.
Gigging with this setup for the first time tomorrow at the local Navy base officers mess.
I can keep the EQ pretty much flat. Any tone adjustments I need to make depending on the piece of music can be done exclusively with the tone control and plucking hand position.
I'm using Roto 66's but am leaning towards a set of groundwounds/pressurewounds.