Why become a member? ×

Duff notes - bad technique? - can't be the gear

Rubbishatbass

Hi all, only been playing a month or two. Treated myself to a nice Ibanez SR500 and one of the TC BG250 combos. Only managing to practice for a few hours a week at present (if that) - so with that little experience under my belt it must be me I hope. Obviously a decent technique takes many years to perfect but I just don't seem to be able to play clear notes, sometimes however slow I play! Started off trying to play 1F1F but soon gave that up down the lower end ... practicing scales and whatever I'm trying to learn I can probably do a couple in a row without making a duff note but that's all. Strings are new Ernie Balls ...

I know these things don't just come overnight but I don't be able to see any improvement - please tell me it WILL come eventually, otherwise the thing can go on the fire. :angry:

At first when I got the bass out of the box, I could tell the set up was all wrong so had it done by a local guy who knows his stuff - been doing it 20 years or so. He played it for me in his shop and it sounded fine so the bass itself is no problem.

So why can't I get a decent sound from it? :D Strikes me I'm probably too imatient. I see Scott Devine's lessons online and he NEVER gets a bad note, slightly bad note, nothing and he plays in bloody gloves!. WIll I get that when I've been playing for years? Or am I doomed to a back bedroom bass existence :D

If I see someone do a slap thing on YouTube say, I'll try and copy it but the note I get from a fretted E string just sounds DUFF - flat and with no pop at all - yet I listen around and everyone else's seems to make a ringing note ... I'm confused. Is it ALL down to (at the moment) simply no technique which'll come with practice?

Don't be too harsh guys ... I'm trying, honestly. :lol:

I would also hesitate to agree that your gear is not to blame. But, it's hard to identify and remedy playing technique if you are complaining about poor tone. Start with the amp EQ set flat and do the same with the bass (do this by setting all the knobs to the 12 o'clock position). That way you will manage to hear every nuance of your playing very clearly...when you hit notes sweetly and also badly. It might sound less impressive than you are used to hearing, but its important to monitor how well your fingers are serving you whilst you are learning. Even with the most expensive gear at your disposal you will soon realise how much your playing technique is integral to achieving a good bass tone. Work on your dexterity and accuracy first before getting nerdy about bass tone from your gear.

The trick is to start playing with other people. Playing on your ownsome lonesome tends to highlight those clanky duff notes. Recording yourself playing along to stuff (make it simple to start with U2 or Status Quo) can be encouraging as you can hear where you're getting it wrong and more importantly where you're getting it right.

Luckily I started out with my two buddies, on drums and guitar, who were both also starting out. We made quite a racket before we started getting it right.

Keep your head down and you'll get there.

Edited by gjones

Do you have one-to-one lessons? There is nothing wrong with self teaching, but a professional tutor can identify technical mistakes and bad habits. A second pair experienced ears when you are learning is very handy. Some of my students drop in for a lesson/jam session just so that they can iron out some creases in their playing. I also have a lesson with a friend a few times a year to sharpen up my playing and I have been playing for 18yrs!

Be careful when you are self teaching that you get stuck in a rut and get frustrated. Having a lesson every week can be expensive, but be sure to attempt to get on-to-one tuition as frequently as your wallet and free time will allow. It's so important to get into a good playing technique early in your development as it becomes hard to change later.

Edited by shizznit

Shizznit's got it - one to one tuition from an experienced (and recommended) bass teacher will pay ultimately dividends. There's plenty of time to get obsessed by gear later on ( ;) ), for now I'd say the single best thing that you can do is to invest in some lessons.

Cheers guys - maybe a couple of lessons would sort me out - but nothing can improve you like practice can it ... thing is, I'll do half an hour or an hour, then not pick it up again for three days due to work etc - so by the time it comes round again to practice I'm starting from scratch again so it seems.

Don't seem to be able to get into any rhythm (pardon the pun). No others to play with ... those days have long gone ... not got the time/space/opportunity etc. It's just me and You Tube (for now) :P

I never hear a duff note on there though. Yet I don't seem capable of playing a dozen notes without hearing a few ...

Good evening, Rubbishatbass (or may I call you 'Rubbish'..?)...

Congratulations on asking the right questions, right from the outset, and in the right place. The mentions of one to one lessons is the way to go; you don't mention your locality..? I'm pretty certain someone could recommend a decent teacher for you if they know where you're based.
Practice is fine, and an hour or so is OK for starters, although consistence is preferable. Can you not fit in 10-15 minutes each day as a minimum..? You'll progress much faster (although still painfully slowly, I'll accord...) if you can have that minimum assured. Practice of bad habits, though, is counter-productive, so it would be in your best interest to not insist too much until you've seen a prof, to get the basics down.
You are going at this the hard way, as have many of us here; over years, sometimes. It's really not [i]that [/i]difficult, however, once the fundamentals have 'clicked'. It sounds as if you have a pair of ears, and are being adequately self-critical. That, in itself, is a healthy sign; you have what it takes already. The rest will come, much quicker than you think, and all the quicker if you treat yourself to the best head-start you can manage.

You may wish, shortly, to re-consider your 'pseudo' here. I'm not a betting man, but could be persuaded that, in a short time, you'll not be 'rubbish' at all (if indeed you are presently, which remains to be proven..!).
Just my tuppence worth...

Hi Dad - yes call me Rubbish if you like (the wife does).

Cambs is my location ... I'll try and do it every day if I can from now on - ubt sometimes, it isn't always possible - but I'm a trier if nothing else.

Thanks for the tips. I'm sitting here half the time, combo off, unplugged, just moving my hands around the guitar, getting familiar etc - all helps in the long run I'm sure.

Will defo try and get more time on the thing ...

Haha - don't worry Purple, I'm not really slapping away merrily - I realise there are far better ways to spend one's time learning to play half decently ... (I was mucking about with the settings on the combo that was all)

Will sort out some lessons and keep up the practice - determined to put the time in. I have a teenage daughter and she is embarrassed beyond help that I'm playing at all ...

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1353686895' post='1877497']
The trick is to start playing with other people. Playing on your ownsome lonesome tends to highlight those clanky duff notes. Recording yourself playing along to stuff (make it simple to start with U2 or Status Quo) can be encouraging as you can hear where you're getting it wrong and more importantly where you're getting it right.

Luckily I started out with my two buddies, on drums and guitar, who were both also starting out. We made quite a racket before we started getting it right.

Keep your head down and you'll get there.
[/quote]

Well said that man.

Work out a few 12 bar numbers, where the root notes etc are and go for it. You'll be srprised how quickly your playing will improve. Worry about technique and lessons and scales later.

Main thing, in my humble opinion.is to start making music asap. find someone to do it with, or bang along to records, or whatever.

Otherwise you'll just get bored.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1353884642' post='1879467']
Work out a few 12 bar numbers, where the root notes etc are and go for it. You'll be srprised how quickly your playing will improve. Worry about technique and lessons and scales later.
[/quote]

I don't completely agree. Yes play with other people,but don't 'worry about technique and lessons and scales later'. It's all
important to do.
On a technical side,if you're not happy with the sound you are producing you need to spend time working on
it away from band situations,and good lessons and quality practice time are the way to improve it. Same with scales-don't push
them to one side.Learn them as you go along,so that you can understand them and later,apply them-most 12 bar numbers are
simply arpeggios and scale degrees.If you know and understand this you'll be better off than if you were to just move your
fingers in generic patterns. If you push all this to one side it's easy to get to the point where you just can't be bothered to learn
it later (as many people have proven). If you start studying from the beginning (technique,basic theory,reading etc) alongside
all the fun stuff (jamming,playing to records,general noodling etc.) it will quickly become second nature and will save you a lot
of hassle later on. A good teacher will give you material to work on and be able to point out why you aren't producing the sound you
want (it's hard to do without seeing you play),and you will progress quicker and hopefully,with get a better understanding of what
you are doing.

The only problem you have is unrealistic expectations and, seemingly, a need to blame everything else.

You've only been playing "one or two months" and you're impatiently (all be it with some humour), already, blaming your gear! Don't get caught up in Basschat's usual focus on the gear. Who cares what strings you've got. You shouldn't. They are not even close to being a problem for you at this stage.

Of course Scott Devine is good. He's been playing for years, he's taken a lot of lessons with great players, he's worked hard and he's got a lot of talent.

Sit down and practice (I was playing for 2 hours a day when I started). Not just scales, but your favourite songs. Start with the easy ones, and keep at it for a year before you come back with tales of gear problems.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353921634' post='1879625']
The only problem you have is unrealistic expectations and, seemingly, a need to blame everything else.

You've only been playing "one or two months" and you're impatiently (all be it with some humour), already, blaming your gear! Don't get caught up in Basschat's usual focus on the gear. Who cares what strings you've got. You shouldn't. They are not even close to being a problem for you at this stage.

Of course Scott Devine is good. He's been playing for years, he's taken a lot of lessons with great players, he's worked hard and he's got a lot of talent.

Sit down and practice (I was playing for 2 hours a day when I started). Not just scales, but your favourite songs. Start with the easy ones, and keep at it for a year before you come back with tales of gear problems.
[/quote]

Hey Chris, it's me I know - it's not the gear - that was more tongue in cheek really - I read reviews of this stuff online and no-one says *it's the gear* - I'm a novice, a beginner, I know all that ... I have poor tecnique (read no) at the moment - time will improve that - I ain't daft.

It was a need to sound off really - as I'm new to all this. I know it's practice, practice, practice - how does the saying go? You know ...

See you in 52 weeks.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1353892964' post='1879539']
I don't completely agree. Yes play with other people,but don't 'worry about technique and lessons and scales later'. It's all
important to do.
On a technical side,if you're not happy with the sound you are producing you need to spend time working on
it away from band situations,and good lessons and quality practice time are the way to improve it. Same with scales-don't push
them to one side.Learn them as you go along,so that you can understand them and later,apply them-most 12 bar numbers are
simply arpeggios and scale degrees.If you know and understand this you'll be better off than if you were to just move your
fingers in generic patterns. If you push all this to one side it's easy to get to the point where you just can't be bothered to learn
it later (as many people have proven). If you start studying from the beginning (technique,basic theory,reading etc) alongside
all the fun stuff (jamming,playing to records,general noodling etc.) it will quickly become second nature and will save you a lot
of hassle later on. A good teacher will give you material to work on and be able to point out why you aren't producing the sound you
want (it's hard to do without seeing you play),and you will progress quicker and hopefully,with get a better understanding of what
you are doing.
[/quote]

OK...

How about,

Work out a few 12 bar numbers, where the root notes etc are and go for it. You'll be srprised how quickly your playing will improve. Worry about technique and lessons and scales later, [i][b]when you can at least play a song or two, that way it'll keep you interested cos you can see some progress.[/b][/i]

What do I know, never had a lesson in my life. But over the last 30 years a good few times, I've bands have chosen me over much better players with technique, cos , or at least so I'm told, I 'had a better feel'

Not knocking people who learn to do it properly, if there really is a properly. But i dont think it will do the OP any harm to start developing a style as early as possible.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1353925199' post='1879672']
OK...

How about,

Work out a few 12 bar numbers, where the root notes etc are and go for it. You'll be srprised how quickly your playing will improve. Worry about technique and lessons and scales later, [i][b]when you can at least play a song or two, that way it'll keep you interested cos you can see some progress.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Yes learning songs will help to keep you interested,but you will get a lot more out of it if you run everything in
conjunction with each other.
To work out where the root notes are you need to learn where those notes are on
the fingerboard,otherwise you are just guessing and/or searching.From there,it doesn't take much at this stage to
sync that up with their positions on the stave. If you work out a basic 12 bar pattern you are basically playing arpeggios,
so why not learn about those at the same time? Then it's only a short step to learning basic scales. You can do this with
a lot of music and while the songs will be fun and keep you interested,the study will increase your knowledge and progress.
It will also be easier to do that at this stage than to just learn songs now have to relearn the rest at a later stage.
You also need to spend time on technique because no matter what you're playing you want to be able to play it cleanly
and efficiently.