Why become a member? ×

Emm.... oops?

MiltyG565

so aye... i just came on here to see how i could improve my technique. i never really thought there was anything wrong with it... nobody ever pointed anything out, but a little while after perusing the technique forums, and then looking at my covers... i saw this> [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHXA5MYd4xg&feature=relmfu[/media]

clearly, you guys would red flag this all over the place. i never even noticed i had my thumb over the top of the neck. that's mental, i never consciously made a decision to place my thumb over the top of the neck. anyway, my thumb hurts... i reckon that's why.

Also, if anybody doesn't mind linking me some warm up tips, those would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Edited by MiltyG565

I do this all the time mate, especially on 4 strings as I'm used to the width of a 6! I only noticed it when somebody on here pointed it out to me. Now that I'm conscious of it I'm starting to prevent myself doing it, which makes playing and fretting cleaner and much easier. The fact that you've identified it is enough for now! :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353893177' post='1879540']
clearly, you guys would red flag this all over the place. i never even noticed i had my thumb over the top of the neck. that's mental, i never consciously made a decision to place my thumb over the top of the neck. anyway, my thumb hurts... i reckon that's why.
[/quote]

I'd be just as concerned about how the little finger on your fretting hand often gets tucked in under the neck. I'd personally
be really looking at left hand technique in general.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1353894018' post='1879545']
I'd be just as concerned about how the little finger on your fretting hand often gets tucked in under the neck. I'd personally
[/quote]

yeah.... cheers....

Here's the thing, did my cover sound bad? was it any worse because i tucked my wee finger in? i just want to avoid pain in my hands, that's the bottom line.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353895605' post='1879552']
yeah.... cheers....

Here's the thing, did my cover sound bad? was it any worse because i tucked my wee finger in? i just want to avoid pain in my hands, that's the bottom line.
[/quote]

You can sound good with only one finger,but you're the one who brought up your technique.You want to avoid pain and
you said yourself that your thumb hurts,and you think that it's because of your left hand position. In the same way,by tucking
your little finger in,you are taking it 'out of play' and because of this you are making some quite big stretches between your
index and ring fingers that would be made easier and more comfortable for you if you kept your little finger closer to the 'board.

Might be worth you raising the height of your strap so that the body of the bass sits in the area of your stomach - that should help in bring your little finger into contact with the fingerboard? If you want to get used to using the little finger, start doing some major and minor scales across 4 frets from about the 5th fret (use the one finger per fret method)

Thought your playing sounded fine :).

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1353923471' post='1879644']
By way of constructive criticism, try playing the run E-D#-D on the A-string with 3rd-2nd-1st fingers rather than all with the same finger - the latter approach can become jerky at higher tempi.
[/quote]

Physically impossible... that run isn't in the song, otherwise i would have :)

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1353922905' post='1879640']
Might be worth you raising the height of your strap so that the body of the bass sits in the area of your stomach - that should help in bring your little finger into contact with the fingerboard? If you want to get used to using the little finger, start doing some major and minor scales across 4 frets from about the 5th fret (use the one finger per fret method)

Thought your playing sounded fine :).
[/quote]

hmm.. i've lost quite a bit of weight lately, so it's possible it was slightly lower than before, but i don't like it being too high either. i certainly don't like it being much higher than my belly button.

oh, just to mention, i do use my wee finger quite a bit, just not for that song. it isn't really necessary, and i find sometimes that playing only a couple of frets up (like D to E) i can nearly overshoot that with my wee finger, so best not to play it that way. but if you notice, i use my wee finger for all the octaves.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1353898822' post='1879556']
You can sound good with only one finger,but you're the one who brought up your technique.You want to avoid pain and
you said yourself that your thumb hurts,and you think that it's because of your left hand position. In the same way,by tucking
your little finger in,you are taking it 'out of play' and because of this you are making some quite big stretches between your
index and ring fingers that would be made easier and more comfortable for you if you kept your little finger closer to the 'board.
[/quote]

that's right, but at the same time, i still want to maintain the look. i don't want to have my bass up at my chest and all that business.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353961112' post='1880335']
hmm.. i've lost quite a bit of weight lately, so it's possible it was slightly lower than before, but i don't like it being too high either. i certainly don't like it being much higher than my belly button.
[/quote]

You certainly don't have to wear it too high - one thing I noticed about your video is that your wrists are kept fairly straight, which is great because there are no sharp bends stopping the blood flow into the tendons. Wrapping the thumb over the top is a really subjective thing (works for some people, not for others), but if that's where the pain is it might be worth considering readjusting the strap a smidge.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353961364' post='1880339']
that's right, but at the same time, i still want to maintain the look. i don't want to have my bass up at my chest and all that business.
[/quote]

I think "the look" should definitely come after technique. Also check out Scott Devine's channel on YouTube he's got some great lessons covering the basics such as strap height. As a rule of thumb though you wanna have your bass in roughly the same position it is when you play sitting down.

Also I wouldn't worry too much playing with your thumb over the neck, I've seen Marcus Miller playing bass notes to chords this way, yours does seem to make your hand slant at a strange angle though. This will probably become more of a problem when you start playing faster runs and such. Try practising some scales with the 'one finger per fret' rule and you'll soon find your thumb returning behind the neck!

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1354010740' post='1880662']
You certainly don't have to wear it too high - one thing I noticed about your video is that your wrists are kept fairly straight, which is great because there are no sharp bends stopping the blood flow into the tendons. Wrapping the thumb over the top is a really subjective thing (works for some people, not for others), but if that's where the pain is it might be worth considering readjusting the strap a smidge.
[/quote]

yeah, the wrist thing- that is basically the reason why i thought my technique wasn't bad. I don't want to look like a total technique nerd, if you know what i mean? it just looks quite.... condescending, to me.

May i suggest that you watch your right hand too. Try and keep your wrist straight (carpal tunnel syndrome risk) and 3rd and 4th fingers lower when not in play and they won'thave so far to travel and won't get so tired.
I think that I picked these tips up from a Gary Wills book years ago.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1353894018' post='1879545']
[/quote]

I agree with Doddy. If you play several years down the line with that kind of 'clutching' position with your left hand you are heading towards carpel tunnel treatment. Bass can be a very physically demanding instrument and you have to take care of yourself. As for the right hand, the way that your ring and little fingers are coming away from the strings is a bit worrying too. Whenever I see that it always suggests that the bass is too low for you. Always try to create a little bit of an arc around the body with your forearm. If you are resting your arm against the body you are over stretching the tendons in your wrist and hands when you reach down to play the D and G strings...hence why your ring and little fingers are doing that involuntarily.

Your playing is good...nice and tight, but your technique looks very laboured to me and it appears you are putting in too much physical effort into your playing. Make it as easy as possible for you. Experiment with different postures (strap height, neck angle etc..) to see which is the most comfortable playing position for you. You might have to sacrifice the visual 'cool' factor to help any potential future injuries that could stay with you for life.

I had to learn to do that myself. Both of my hands used to behave like yours. I could manage a 40min set playing like that, but beyond that I was in lots of pain. When the band I was playing for at the time became more successful and started to play longer sets over several nights back to back I couldn't cope anymore. I can now play a 2hr set with ease playing in a much more comfortable position. Okay, I don't look as 'cool' anymore, but I plan to continue playing bass for another 20yrs at least and I feel confident that I will be physically able to do so.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1354107726' post='1882112']
I agree with Doddy. If you play several years down the line with that kind of 'clutching' position with your left hand you are heading towards carpel tunnel treatment. Bass can be a very physically demanding instrument and you have to take care of yourself. As for the right hand, the way that your ring and little fingers are coming away from the strings is a bit worrying too. Whenever I see that it always suggests that the bass is too low for you. Always try to create a little bit of an arc around the body with your forearm. If you are resting your arm against the body you are over stretching the tendons in your wrist and hands when you reach down to play the D and G strings...hence why your ring and little fingers are doing that involuntarily.

Your playing is good...nice and tight, but your technique looks very laboured to me and it appears you are putting in too much physical effort into your playing. Make it as easy as possible for you. Experiment with different postures (strap height, neck angle etc..) to see which is the most comfortable playing position for you. You might have to sacrifice the visual 'cool' factor to help any potential future injuries that could stay with you for life.

I had to learn to do that myself. Both of my hands used to behave like yours. I could manage a 40min set playing like that, but beyond that I was in lots of pain. When the band I was playing for at the time became more successful and started to play longer sets over several nights back to back I couldn't cope anymore. I can now play a 2hr set with ease playing in a much more comfortable position. Okay, I don't look as 'cool' anymore, but I plan to continue playing bass for another 20yrs at least and I feel confident that I will be physically able to do so.
[/quote]

hmm.... need to have a serious think about this now. cheers :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353961008' post='1880332']
Physically impossible... that run isn't in the song, otherwise i would have :)
[/quote]
Ok my bad - anyway, there is a 3-note chromatic descent which you appear to play with the same LH finger. It won't cause you any medical problems, and there are times when you may want to do it for effect, but otherwise I would try to use different fingers. :)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1354109429' post='1882155'] Ok my bad - anyway, there is a 3-note chromatic descent which you appear to play with the same LH finger. It won't cause you any medical problems, and there are times when you may want to do it for effect, but otherwise I would try to use different fingers. :) [/quote]

Dude, you can't for that song. play it and you'll see.