Why become a member? ×

The Return Of Trigger's Broom

Happy Jack

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/selmer-twin-bass-ap30-combo-amplifier-with-speakers-good-working-condition/1003742399

So to re-cap,[i][b] [color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]This is a vintage Selmer valve amplifier in full working condition so it is very rare[/size][/font][/color][/b][/i] but the original drivers were missing and have been replaced by HH, the original AP30 amp section was missing and has been replaced by a different Selmer amp which was itself lacking its original pre-amp section which has been replaced by a different pre-amp.

Oh yes, and it's been re-covered too.

In fairness to the seller (no connection by the way), he's selling it cheap because of the honestly described 'issues'. There may be many issues, but if it was original, it would be £800, so at £150, I think its reasonable. He's also detailed all the issues and replacement parts. many sellers would try and blag this and in sheer ignorance, claim it be found in a loft, and not know much about it, (when they know damn well what they have), and yours for £500, and probably sell it too.

This is a rare amp.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1353964577' post='1880386']
In fairness to the seller (no connection by the way), he's selling it cheap because of the honestly described 'issues'. There may be many issues, but if it was original, it would be £800, so at £150, I think its reasonable.
[/quote]

In fairness, Rick, he's selling a wooden box into which the previous owner has retro-fitted a complete set of non-original parts and then stuck non-original tolex over the lot.

As a valve amp, strangely enough, I don't doubt that it's worth £150 and I wasn't having a pop at the seller. I just find it amusing that this travesty should be advertised as a "vintage Selmer". As a past owner of a number of vintage Selmers (and I'm sure that description fits you too) I certainly wouldn't classify this item as one - at best, it's a Bitsa.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1354009908' post='1880645']
In fairness, Rick, he's selling a wooden box into which the previous owner has retro-fitted a complete set of non-original parts and then stuck non-original tolex over the lot.

As a valve amp, strangely enough, I don't doubt that it's worth £150 and I wasn't having a pop at the seller. I just find it amusing that this travesty should be advertised as a "vintage Selmer". As a past owner of a number of vintage Selmers (and I'm sure that description fits you too) I certainly wouldn't classify this item as one - at best, it's a Bitsa.
[/quote]

Fair point, but in order to advertise what he has, the heading should be 'vintage selmer', then people will find it, and read exactly what it is he has. If his advert heading was 'wooden box of bits from old amps, including some selmer stuff, and badge', I doubt he'd get much of a response.

I'm probably being too defensive though, about something I have less than little interest in. Initially i felt you were being critical for him mis-advertising something, which I didnt think he was, now i can see you were merely pointing out that very little of whatever it once was, is still there, making a rather amusing ad, which it is.

I apologise, must be my time of the month........do blokes get those?