Why become a member? ×

FT - Rotosound Flatwounds 45-105

Still going through various flats to try them all out. For trade only i have these Roto's - cut for a fender P bass and probably seen around 4 hours play. As usual with these strings they look older as the red threads at the headstock end go all scruffy and fluffy after just one removal. In return for these id like to try (dont mind used/cut as long as it for p bass / 4 in-row headstock):-

Either 45-105 or 50-105 gauges

Fender flats
Chromes
Picato (50-105 only)

Any other flats you have tho (other than GHS and Picato 45-105's) hit me up and ill have a think.

Cheers,
Paul

Certainly will voxpop. All ive tried so far have different but likeable qualitys. My main bugbare seems to be inconsistency from string to string. Most sets ive tried (bar the Roto's interestingly enough) vary so much from string to string. I ofen find the G and D quite zingy, the A lovely warm and creamy and the E very dull and lifeless. Seems to be pretty much every brand so far. Will report back once my findings are complete

I wonder if it's an issue with your bass, rather than the strings - I've never found that [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]inconsistency, although all flats take a while to bed in tone wise and they seem more consistent from string to string, the longer they are on IME.[/font][/color]

That could well be true Redstriper. It may well be that im not giving them the time to bed in. Certainly the Rotos seem even across the strings straight from the box. Whilst the tone mellows with age all the strings have the same tone. Ive found with most others that this isnt the case. Certainly sticking with the Picatos you sent for a while as they are lovely and will be even more so once theyve mellowed down

I like the Fenders too, very similar to the GHS and Picatos and they can be found cheap on Ebay.

I know what you mean about inconsistency though and it is annoying.
I leave my strings on for years, they seem to get better with age - remember not to clean them, the funk is in the gunk ;)

edit:
The DR Hi Beam flats are also very nice, the TIs are quite different and a real marmite choice - I only like them on fretless because they are very floppy and I hate fret rattle.

Edited by redstriper