Why become a member? ×

Bits fallen off machine heads

tim126

Can anyone spare some wisdom on this:

I have an Ibanez SR505, around 5 yrs old... it's got the original machine heads. There's a minute little band of something (plastic? nylon?) between the bit you turn with your fingers and the shaft that enters the gear enclosure. These little rings are starting to crack and disintegrate - one has disappeared altogether, another is split and will eventually fall off.

I'm thinking they must be there for a purpose - otherwise, why put them there. So: what is that purpose, and is it catastrophically disastrous if they split and fall off?

I haven't got a pic to hand of the genuine article, but the attached pic shows the bit I'm talking about as a pale-coloured collar.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?....

[quote name='tim126' timestamp='1354029510' post='1881089']
Ta for the reply -

So not essential, but a nice-to-have?...

Can replacements be fitted? (Are replacements available?!) - I note that there's a screw holding the turning piece in place...

:-)
[/quote]Yea. If you undo that screw the whole shabang should come apart. I'm sure you could pick up new washers from a plumbers merchants or b&q etc.