Why become a member? ×

ATK305

clauster

Anyone got one?

What's it like?

I want to try owning a 5 string but don't want to spend a fortune and I've heard good things about the four stringers (and the pics of the all black jap version are gorgeous). I could go down to GAK and try one but the ex-wife lives within spitting distance so I don;t like going down there unless I have to.

Edited by clauster

[quote name='clauster' post='197326' date='May 12 2008, 05:19 PM']Anyone got one?

What's it like?

I want to try owning a 5 string but don't want to spend a fortune and I've heard good things about the four stringers (and the pics of the all black jap version are gorgeous). I could go down to GAK and try one but the ex-wife lives within spitting distance so I don;t like going down there unless I have to.[/quote]

Yes - I bought one a couple of months ago. I really like it. Nice playable neck, and a bit of a Stingray vibe to the sound. Bloody heavy though!

[quote name='simon1964' post='197343' date='May 12 2008, 05:54 PM']Yes - I bought one a couple of months ago. I really like it. Nice playable neck, and a bit of a Stingray vibe to the sound. Bloody heavy though![/quote]

+1 to everything my dad said... but then, its the same bass that we're talking about - my dad's - so i would agree...

Couple of things:

+1 on the heavy! It's a big ole bass for sure.

The neck is traditional, and quite full. If ya got tiny hands, look elsewhere (gave me terrible cramp :huh:)!

It's a beast. The massive bridge gives good sustain, and the tones you can get out of this thing speak for themselves, so get your hands on one and see for yourself!

The 5's neck is even bigger still (obviously), but the B sounds great. Some would argue that this is due in part to the through body stringing, but the jury is still out on that one.....

:)

P.S. PAUL GREY MODEL :brow: [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BASS/series.aspx?s=pgb"]http://www.ibanez.com/BASS/series.aspx?s=pgb[/url]

Edited by metalmickey

Good to hear that there's only a couple of caveats about weight and neck rather than "a don't touch with a barge pole". I've got smallish hands but have mostly played P's and now play a Warwick without probs. When I had a J it felt to dainty and I moved it on after a while.

I think perhaps it is worth my while ringing GAK to check they're in stock and going and trying one.

That Paul Grey looks good though.

[quote name='clauster' post='197326' date='May 12 2008, 05:19 PM']I want to try owning a 5 string but don't want to spend a fortune[/quote]

i'd say its the perfect bass for that

[quote name='Machines' post='197683' date='May 13 2008, 08:26 AM']If they did these with neck pickups too i'd be interested :).[/quote]

they used to, when they first came out. i think theres also the koa topped version in (i think) japan with the neck pickup, but i think in only four strings.