Why become a member? ×

Hendrix..live at Berkeley

Rick's Fine '52

I'm a huge Hendrix fan, and when he was on form was simply different planet. As a musician (I use the term loosely!), and someone who understands what's involved in playing an electric string instrument, I'm always amazed every time I watch him.
I haven't seen a live recording of his for a few years, and just watched Berkeley on Sky Arts. Not one of his best, but certainly a better performance (There are some very ropey ones like IOW). I'm always amazed (Putting aside his actual talent in playing) by the control of the instrument he has, the volumes and effects/settings he uses, I can't imagine for a moment if he handed me his guitar plugged in, that I would stand any chance of even controlling the feedback/noise, let alone get a tune out of it.

For me, and most others, he isn't comparable with other players, because he was on a different level altogether, but having not seen a live clip for years, really enjoyed that. Its repeated later and over the next few days if anyone fancies a gander.

I'm off to find Rainbow Bridge clips on Youtube, one of his best performances IMO, lovely slow blues stuff, with a rock solid Billy Cox on a classic '68 Jazz.

Anyway, thought I'd make a comment, as JH is always worth a mention.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1354316280' post='1884881']
(There are some very ropey ones like IOW).
[/quote]

There's a lot I don't remember about IOW 1970 but Jimi being ropey? Nah I don't think so, you probably had to be there B)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1354319452' post='1884914']
There's a lot I don't remember about IOW 1970 but Jimi being ropey? Nah I don't think so, you probably had to be there B)
[/quote]

It was arguably his worst ever, poor sound, out of tune, nothing in sync with Billy or Mitch, nothing went right, and it was obvious he just wanted to get off, constantly talking to his sound tech who didnt improve things, really sad to see actually.

Massive JH fan here too.

Also must disagree on the IOW - on the basis of the video and soundtrack, it still blows me away!

Everything Jimi did was years ahead - and as a result, left us with material that still sounds inventive in 2012.

Big nod to the bassmen....I love Noel's playing (although I have read it often knocked) and Billy's. Very different, but each taking the sound to different paths.

I too am a big Hendrix fan , but have to go along with those who think that his recorded live performances were all too often out of tune and shambolic , particulaly towards the end . The out of tune bit is partly due to the primitive guitar technology of this era - they didn't have electronic tuners or locking tremelo systems - and partly due to the chaotic circumstances of Hendrix's live performances . In the 1960s Rock music was not the slick and professional business that we know today . Strip away the Hendrix mystique and and lot of these performances are pretty bloody awful . There are some great live recordings too, but unfortunately not neccesarily those on film . Everyone lauds Jimi Hendrix as a virtuostic guitar player , which he undoubtedly was , but he was so much more than that . He was a great songwriter too , and that coupled with the brilliant overall production on his classic recordings ( which for me is only the three Experience albums) is why his music has endured . He wasn't the greatest guitar player of all time - no such accolade exists - or even neccesarily the greatest guitar player of the age ( although he was surely the most influential ) but what is beyond question is that he was a visionary and a one-off original . Genius is often flawed , but it is genius nonetheless .

Edited by Dingus

I have a few VHS videos of Jimi: IoW, Berkley, Monterey, Band of Gypsies, and of course Woodstock. There's something to be learned from each. As far as tuning issues go, what do you expect if you string an instrument with a floating vibrato upside down and then give it serious abuse? Strats are hard enough to keep in tune even when you string them up the right way round, have them properly set up by your tech, and are gentle with them.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1354375741' post='1885351']
I have a few VHS videos of Jimi: IoW, Berkley, Monterey, Band of Gypsies, and of course Woodstock. There's something to be learned from each. As far as tuning issues go, what do you expect if you string an instrument with a floating vibrato upside down and then give it serious abuse? Strats are hard enough to keep in tune even when you string them up the right way round, have them properly set up by your tech, and are gentle with them.
[/quote]

That's right , but out of tune is out of tune . I wouldn't just single out Hendrix as having over-hyped live performances either ; there are are a fair few other bands of this era who have passed into legend whose recorded live performances undermine the myth which has grown up around them . I am reticent to name names for fear of starting an argument , but to my ears at least , when it comes to so - called rock legends live performances all too often the Emperor is wearing no clothes

Edited by Dingus

Great book. I've must have read at least 5 or 6 Jimi bio's!

Actually, some of Jimi's live stuff is amongst my favorites - 'Who Knows' (with BoG), 'Tax Free' (got a great version from 69....LA Forum if I remember) and 'Jam Back At The House' at Woodstock....pure chaos!