Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Yamaha TRB5P

pete.young

I'd like to make bassmanady an offer for his BB NE 2, so I need to put my TRB5P mk 1 up for sale.

This is a Japanese TRB5P mark 1 dating from 1991, with Piezo bridge pickup and PJ configuration. Controls are volume, blend, bass, treble, piezo cut and a switch to turn piezo on and off.

It's neck-through construction with a flamed maple cap on a maple body and an ebony fretboard. There is a little fret wear but it's hardly noticeable and doesn't affect playability of the instrument.

Condition is not perfect - there is one bit of mojo, a scratch on the top side of the body which has gone through the finish, but this isn't visible to either player or audience. Other than that, the bass is in excellent condition for a 20-year-old instrument with no buckle rash and only the usual light surface scratches.

Sound wise this is an incredible bass, a veritable tone monster. I tried all three of bassmanady's TRBs and this one was the best-sounding of the three, with stronger lower mids and more presence. It's set up with a low action and passes the Kiwi test (a £1 coin won't fit between the 'B' string and the 12th fret) with new D'Addarios. String spacing is 19mm at the bridge.

Unfortunately I don't have the original Yamaha case, but a Thomann tweed case is included.

Realistically priced to sell at £500 plus shipping. I'd prefer pickup from Ipswich or London, or a meet-up reasonably local to Ipswich. Here are some photos, if you need more views of anything just ask!

Edited by pete.young

Thanks for the comments and pms (all replied to). To clear a couple of things up:

Trades - since the only reason for selling this is to buy another bass, I'm not looking for any trades.

Shipping overseas - at the moment, I'd prefer a UK buyer. It's not just the shipping but the inevitable hassles with exchange rate which always seem to mean that I lose out big time. If you are prepared to cover currency charges and arrange your own courier, then send me a PM and we can discuss it. Air fares to the UK are pretty cheap and I will pick you up from Stansted!