Why become a member? ×

Sell or cannibalise?

thinman

I'm currently using a BFM Omni 10 with a Hughes & Kettner head which I'm very pleased with.

I was going to sell my Ashdown MAG 300 1x15 combo as I want a spare head (250-300w into 4 ohms) but wondered if I may as well build a sleeve for the MAG's head so I've effectively got a MAG 300 head rather than sell the combo (for £190-ish???) then buy another head. An obvious down-side is that I get an amp-less combo hanging around as I doubt a MAG head in a home-made sleeve will be worth much.

I wonder that for the money I could get for the combo I might get me a better head than the MAG secondhand. I quite like valve pre-amps which the Ashdown doesn't have but the spare doesn't necessarily have to be a sound-alike.

I'm sure someone here can put me on the right road.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='197816' date='May 13 2008, 11:16 AM']would be nice if they did but isnt the mag 1x15 combo narrower than the mag head? then the sleeve that they make would be too wide unless you didnt mind making some fillers for the gaps. and you could always cannibalise the speaker enclosure into a small extension cab.[/quote]
I think your 210 head is wider - it's got the vents each end which neither the separate head nor 115 have got. According to Ashdown's site there's 11mm difference in the overal width of the MAG 300 head and 115 combo which may be just case thickness differences.

I'd probably make a sleeve anyway.

Can't really use or need the 115 as an extension cabinet as my Omni 10 is 4 ohm and I doubt the Ashdown cab would keep up with it anyway.