Why become a member? ×

Kettle Leads

Dawoogsta

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1354736830' post='1889885']
The clue to what Imeant is in what I wrote.

[b][i]Getting damaged and /or overheating.[/i][/b]

. . . . . The possibilites are endless. Smaller the fuse, the safer.

[/quote]

As far as overheating accidents are concerned, the smaller the fuse the smaller the current certainly, but safer? Perhaps, though 700W can easily cause a fire.

So what's your feeling about having 30/32A fuses in your consumer unit when I'd bet you only ever draw a small fraction of that from each circuit. I'd also bet that your lighting circuits draw far less than the 5A allowed by the fuse/MCB in your consumer unit.

You're right, the possibilities are endless, which is why there is no totally safe protection mechanism and why accidents continue to happen.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1354741045' post='1889964']
As far as overheating accidents are concerned, the smaller the fuse the smaller the current certainly, but safer? Perhaps, though 700W can easily cause a fire.

[b]So what's your feeling about having 30/32A fuses in your consumer unit when I'd bet you only ever draw a small fraction of that from each circuit. I'd also bet that your lighting circuits draw far less than the 5A allowed by the fuse/MCB in your consumer unit.

You're right, the possibilities are endless, which is why there is no totally safe protection mechanism and why accidents continue to happen.[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah, our right, but, unlike some of the cheapo kettle leads you see, the cable and the way it at least should have been installed, can handle it. ex. lighting 1.5mm cable withinn a reasonable length should be ok up to about 12A. Thats a lot of lights.
imho, the european way, with each socket, or small groups of sockets is a better idea. Doesnt take many appliances to reach 30A though does it ? Kettle + toaster + iron and your there. Fuse ratings are for continuous curent, you can add about 80% before it will blow, so 30A fusewire will blow when the current reaches around 54A, not a great idea, but otherwise you'd be replacing the fuse wire every breakfast time.

The old house I grew up in had 5A sockets, that was a real pain in winter.

Edited by BILL POSTERS