Why become a member? ×

Vintage Pick-up magnets

ET280

Hello all,
I have an Epiphone ET280 1970-71 (in case you hadn't guessed already!!). There are 2 magnets under each pick up, neither of which seem to have been glued or fixed into position and I was wondering if there is a specific way they should go back in as I neglected to look or mark them prior to removal (Smart!) They seem to work best when they are repelling each other however it is difficult to keep them in position causing one string to be louder than the other. The magnets just sit on a piece of foam in the base of the slot for the pick up.
Just wondering if anyone has some experience in this area.

Hanx-........... Feargal.

The magnets in each coil (humbucker has two) must be oriented the same ie: all the magnets in coil 1 face north up and coil 2 south up. It doesn't matter at all which way round you choose to do it but for a humcancelling pickup the 2 coils must be opposite both magnetically and wiring wise.
Basically, stick one magnet in and the rest go in so that they are attracted to the first (if you flip em over they should repell).

Edited by lettsguitars