Why become a member? ×

New Combo Day

thumperbob 2002

I finally bit the bullet and got one of these- Fender Bassman TV 15.

[attachment=124192:Bassman TV.JPG]

First Impressions- the thing is really quite big- not featherlight but about the same as my Hydrive 4 x 10. About that size too.

Looks absolutely fantastic- real quality finish.

Soundwise couldnt be happier- with bass on 3 ( out of 12) , Mid on 12 and treble on 3 get a lovely warm old school tone. The combo is really louder than I thought too. Could easily gig with this- mind you it is 350W. Though I gig with a LH1000W amp.

Overall great combo- looks unbelievable- sounds fantastic and loud- the thing is- why were they not popular?- I suppose they were expensive- retailed at over £1000 RRP. Got mine for £699 from Dawsons- for what it is- bargain.

Edited by thumperbob 2002

Yeah I think bass players are spoilt now. 1000w in a small package - put it in your gig bag! I couldn't believe it when my postie handed over my lm2 at the doorstep! Just sold this to nice guy homer as I don't get lightweight anymore.

I do think something gets lost in translation. That's why I gig with a hartke lh1000. Now this would be classed as a heavy amp but then just a tiddler. It's probably all psychological but I feel I need something with a bit more weight to my sound.

Still a different world to a big valve amp and a 8 x 10!

Couple of gigs last week with this amp so I thought I would do a mini review sort of thing

First gig with amp- believe it or not a Miss Hull Daily Mail celebration party- about 150 family friends and competitors in the above beauty contest! So lots of eye candy- still....

I always have pa support and really just use my bass amp as monitor- I was really surprised as this amp is easily loud enough to gig- bit louder than my old ampeg portaflex pf500. I had the volume on full and the gain on half- 6- ( goes up to 12 ). No farting- rattles- just lovely warm defined tone. I recorded the gig on my H2 and this thing sounds amazing. Playing a Roadworn Jazz- sounds great both pickups full on- lovely slap sound ( no tweeter on these )- and for fingerstyle with neck pickup rolled back a bit sounds unbelievable. Actually this thing is probably the best tone I have had- probably ever. I am so surprised with this amp.

Gig 2 - glitter ball in massive hall- about 300 people. Rather posh do- bit of a rickety stage- volume on half- lovely warm tone- easy to move- light- ( on castors though I take the back two off so I can hear the speaker better ) - though dont suppose it makes any difference anyway with this amp.

Overall I think the only reason I would change this amp- or gig with another one- is for looks and Vintage vibe- and cannot see how I would gt the same vibe with anything other than an SVT stack or new Fender Bassman Pro-I like to have a backup and do buy lots of gear - I have to declare my band earnings so always spend what I earn on gear. I do fancy an SVT VR rig or bassman but am a little frightened re- weight of the things. This amp does it all- has that vintage vibe- sounds fantastic- is light compared to most of the combos I have had in the past and I love how it says Fender on the front. Overall very happy but will still go for an SVT or Bassman as backup. Think I`ll sell my Hartke LH1000 and Hydrive cab next year once I find another vintage looking rig.

Looks great.

If you want the valve thing in a lighter..altho not by much, :lol:, the DB750 is great for that.

I think it does the whole Ampeg thing better... looks great, sounds awesome, doesn't have the valve cost and as I said, is lighter.
You need a big stage though as these things have 'power' as opposed to volume.

So, the Fender for the small stage/gig and the DB when you have to get out the beans... :lol:

Totally agree about the weight thing...