Why become a member? ×

whats your busy..?

bubinga5

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1354912809' post='1892057']
I don't like it. He doesn't make the song breathe.
[/quote]
[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1354913573' post='1892070']
couldnt have said it better my self..
[/quote]
[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1354920848' post='1892143']
He published it. It's not like we rooted through his personal storage and found videos of him playing along to disco tunes - he actually wanted us to see him doing it.

It's not like anyone's completely slated the guy anyway, but for the record I don't rate him at all, or his band.
[/quote]

I am equally aware as any of you as to what the shortcomings are in this chaps playing in absolute terms in this clip , but what I think is wrong is that people have singled out one Youtube playalong video and made it totemic of bad taste and over-elaborate self indulgent bass playing . His other posted videos show that he is , on balance , a far better player than the Michael Jackson track suggests and, I would venture , far better than a lot of the people who are so free in offering their damning criticisms of his efforts . I posted the video him him playing with a band purely to show that he is a working musician and the demonstrate that , whereas the band might not be the last word in cool ( they are European after all ) , this man can hold it down even when playing in a busy style , and I stand by that assertion . I have seen "name " pro players who produced worse performances , and if people feel justified in slating this chap so mercilessy then I look forward to hearing their own playing and can only wonder why they are not playing for a living , because if you are of so much of a better standard than the playalong man is capable of then you should have no problem making a career . What is wrong is not the flawed playing in the video , rather it is the significance that some people a placing upon it .

Unfortunately though once you've put your output into the public domain it is open to criticism, that's the risk you take. Whether or not people offer constructive criticism + examples of their own playing or they choose to be completely disparaging isn't out decision. It's the Internet, you'll always get the keyboard warriors.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354976467' post='1892527']I am equally aware as any of you as to what the shortcomings are in this chaps playing in absolute terms in this clip , but what I think is wrong is that people have singled out one Youtube playalong video and made it totemic of bad taste and over-elaborate self indulgent bass playing .[/quote]

Well he could've avoided that couldn't he. This is what you get when you publish videos of yourself showing off online - you're going to get thousands of people who know you're nothing special publicly discussing how not special you are. The difference in our opinions is that you blame everybody else on the internet for it and I blame him.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354976467' post='1892527']if people feel justified in slating this chap so mercilessy then I look forward to hearing their own playing and can only wonder why they are not playing for a living , because if you are of so much of a better standard than the playalong man is capable of then you should have no problem making a career .[/quote]

When I was 20 I joined a band that played original funk tunes and spent a couple of years touring and that was my full-time job. I was playing the same sort of material he plays except our music was all original and I did a better job of it than he does.

I agree with you if the standard of playing on Youtube is anything to go by I would have no problem making a career out of it, but I wouldn't enjoy it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1354980891' post='1892595']
Well he could've avoided that couldn't he. This is what you get when you publish videos of yourself showing off online - you're going to get thousands of people who know you're nothing special publicly discussing how not special you are. The difference in our opinions is that you blame everybody else on the internet for it and I blame him.

When I was 20 I joined a band that played original funk tunes and spent a couple of years touring and that was my full-time job. I was playing the same sort of material he plays except our music was all original and I did a better job of it than he does.

I agree with you if the standard of playing on Youtube is anything to go by I would have no problem making a career out of it, but I wouldn't enjoy it.
[/quote]
[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1354980891' post='1892595']

[/quote]

"He " is not the one who is at fault in certain respects . The greater error is on the part of those who read such significance into one playalong on Youtube and might use it as vindication of their own selves . When you say I am blaming everybody else on the internet you are being far too general in your assessment ; blame belongs only to those who are responsible . I am glad to hear that you have found a profession that satisfies you more than playing the bass did and that you are , apparently , thankful to have avoided being drawn into the morass of poor bass playing on Youtube and it's corrupting influence .

This guy might not be great , but he's not terrible either , and he's certainly not the whipping boy for bad bass playing on Youtube . Try watching a few of his ( many ) other playalongs and you might see him in a different light .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354982552' post='1892624']"He " is not the one who is at fault in certain respects . The greater error is on the part of those who read such significance into one playalong on Youtube and might use it as vindication of their own selves . When you say I am blaming everybody else on the internet you are being far too general in your assessment ; blame belongs only to those who are responsible .[/quote]

And I think you too are exaggerating. He hasn't become a scapegoat for all bad bass playing, he has had his video highlighted in a thread on a forum which - I would guess - is no longer being discussed, so his 15 minutes of infamy has already passed and they will be busy criticising someone else by now.

I did have a look at some of his other videos. He can play as competently as practically any bass player is ever required to do, but he plays with no imagination and no soul, there is no special spark in his playing that makes me want to listen to him. I imagine this is probably because he spends all his time playing along to records instead of developing his music.