Why become a member? ×

Calling all EB-0 pimpers

Paul S

I have just acquired an Epiphone EB-0 and used it last night at rehearsal. To my surprise I like it an awful lot in terms of how it feels and general wearability. The neck dives a little but no more than some I have. Overall I find it lightweight and comfy and I like the look of it, too - very rock and roll without being flashy like, say, a T-Bird. :)

The major issues I have with it at the moment are a dodgy jack plug and, particularly, very weak output from the pup. First port of call is to have a chat with Ki0gon for a new wiring harness.

But also the following:

I am thinking a better pickup - but any recommendations as to what different makes/models give what tonal options?
Maybe when funds allow I will change the tuners to lightweights - anyone know which model number?
I've heard the bridges are weak - this is fine at the moment but what would be the usual replacement?
And has anyone fitted a J. East P-retro to one?

Any help, advice is appreciated. :)

Don't like the idea of surgery. :) Thanks. The bridges are expensive, aren't they! There is one on here a secondhand but still £75. Which is only a little bit less than I paid for the bass! Did you bother changing the tuners for lightweight ones?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1354979108' post='1892567']
Don't like the idea of surgery. :) Thanks. The bridges are expensive, aren't they! There is one on here a secondhand but still £75. Which is only a little bit less than I paid for the bass! Did you bother changing the tuners for lightweight ones?
[/quote]

I believe I did throw some Hipshot Ultralites on it at some point. Probably a pointless exercise when a wide, grippy strap ought to keep things in order.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1354974103' post='1892485']
To answer myself - looks like the DiMarzio DP120 pickup is the one[/quote]

I had one of those in an EB3, a Gibson, and I hated it. Sure if you use the tap you get with it it gives you more range but no way on this earth could it emulate a Gibbo Mudbucker, no depth to it. In those days you could pick up old Gibson pickups at guitar shows for a good price which I did in Newcastle............ aaah those were the days.

As a stop gap and/or experiment you could try raising the pickup, which I did for quite a while, with bits of nylon fuel pipe off a remote controlled car as screw-springs; which is easy to find for pennies from a good kid's model shop.

If you want a DM model, I saw a matt black one in Live Music Edinburgh last year, it was about £40 ........ might be worth a call to see if it's still there.

If this clip is anything to go by I quite like the sound of it, even if it isn't a Gibbo-a-like! :)

[url="http://youtu.be/OFB9o9agOsA"]http://youtu.be/OFB9o9agOsA[/url]

I'll check out the place you mention (just sent an email, in fact) - thank you! - at the moment the cheapest, new, is Thomann at 89Euro delivered.