Why become a member? ×

String gauges for drop tuning ?

Dusty

Hi guys, would appreciate some advice on this. My band plays with the guitars tuned to Eb, then on some songs would drop the E string down a further tone (Db). This tends to make the strings a bit sloppy (45-105). To help overcome this, should I go thicker, 55-110 or thinner 40-100 ?
Will be sending a couple of basses of to have a decent set up with which ever strings would be best.
Thanks, Dusty

Hey buddy. My band uses the exact same tuning, and i use the same gauges as you too! I tried heavier (50 - 110) and the bottom string felt great but the D and G strings were just too stiff for my liking. I couldn't be bothered to mix and match sets so 45 - 105 actually works out best for me!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355091511' post='1893996']
What brand are you currently using?
[/quote]

I didn't think to ask that :blink:

Stainless steel strings tend to feel a bit less floppy, and if they have a hexagonal core significantly more so! Elites Stadium Series, and D'Addario Prosteels tick both boxes. I THINK the steel Elixirs are hex cored aswell, they certainly are a chore to bend at the third fret :lol:

I'd suggest getting a 110 for the Drop D string and standard gauge for the rest - the only set that I can think of that comes with these gauges as standard that I used to use for many years is the Billy Sheehan signature Rotosound strings. He often uses his Hipshot D-Tuner to drop to a D on the 4th string but the 110 isn't too heavy when pulling back up to E. I did much the same until I moved straight on to six string basses. It's a brilliant set with a slightly lighter G string at .043.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1355093448' post='1894037']
I'd suggest getting a 110 for the Drop D string and standard gauge for the rest - the only set that I can think of that comes with these gauges as standard that I used to use for many years is the Billy Sheehan signature Rotosound strings. He often uses his Hipshot D-Tuner to drop to a D on the 4th string but the 110 isn't too heavy when pulling back up to E. I did much the same until I moved straight on to six string basses. It's a brilliant set with a slightly lighter G string at .043.
[/quote]

Dammit, Rotosound are great and that set sounds perfect... but I just don't like them! :(

Thanks guys, I've mostly have used rotosound swing 66, but have recently changed to Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkys. The Lakland has these at 50-105, nice strings but really messed up my string height / action. I've already bought the 55-110 & a Hipshot drop D to go on the Stingray and following the comments above like the idea mixing up the sets, but think I will try the heavy gauge on the Lakie as well with a good set up, as this is my main bass.

But many thanks for clarifying the 110 route :)

• 2 weeks later...