Why become a member? ×

New Amp, Old Cab issues

Basskiller666

[quote name='Basskiller666' timestamp='1355144248' post='1894522']
After researching more on the Hydrive its only an 8 ohm cab, Im really chasing a 4 ohm cab to save on using two cabs but thanks for your thoughts :)
[/quote]

Aiming for 4ohms isn't a good plan, no benefit. Two cabs is louder because its two cabs, twice as much speaker touching air, not because the ohms is less. A 4 ohm cab in practice is unlikely to be any louder than an 8ohm equivalent an just serves to remove the option of another cab.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1355151335' post='1894656']

Aiming for 4ohms isn't a good plan, no benefit. Two cabs is louder because its two cabs, twice as much speaker touching air, not because the ohms is less. A 4 ohm cab in practice is unlikely to be any louder than an 8ohm equivalent an just serves to remove the option of another cab.
[/quote]
I'd rather have all the available power on tap myself so if I knew I only wanted one cab I'd hunt for a single cab solution.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355164220' post='1894897']
I'd rather have all the available power on tap myself so if I knew I only wanted one cab I'd hunt for a single cab solution.
[/quote]
You'd have the power on tap, but that only equates to an utterly meagre increase in volume. With 900w at 4 ohm the Mesa is going to be producing something like 600w at 8 ohms, so the difference in volume between the two is going to be about 1.8 dB. That's an absolutely tiny increase in volume that you'd struggle to notice at all in a live situation.

Mr. Foxen is right - more speakers is the way to go if extra volume is needed.

What I'm saying is that if your dead set on one cab it might as well be a four ohm. If I ever (unlikely) needed to add another 2x12 I could run one off my 9.2 max and the other off my 6.0 using the various in/outs on the back. If fact they run quite well off the 3.0 anyway so three genz neox 2x12s stacked high would be cool! :D

Good points on both sides, I am pretty set on only having the one cab though. I lugged 2 cabs around for years and Im pretty well over it! My rack case, a single quad cab and my Guitar case is generally what I am aiming at, I play gigs quite often and rehears 2-3 times a week, that equates to a sh*t load of gear handling, Im getting to old to have the biggest stack of the gig too :D

But, two smaller cabs are a lot easier to move than one cab that's double the size :)

If you want a lightweight 4ohm 410 that could actually handle a lot of watts and make use of them then you might take a look at the Aguilar SL410 - rapidly discontinued I think due to Aguilar having issues with Eminence neo driver supplies. Remaining stock is still available from a few suppliers I think, it's not cheap, but the price reflects the quality of the drivers its loaded with.

Btw the Trace cab wouldn't be a great platform for upgrading because the port size isn't big enough to cope, you'd get issues with chuffing around resonance if you did put more power in regardless of what drivers it was loaded with.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1355195918' post='1895296']
Chances of the cab being able to use double watts is pretty slim too.
[/quote]

Especially if it's a non-mega design . . . i.e. a regular cab not a fEARful or Big Twin etc.
Thankfully for most moderately loud applications you can lose a fair amount of the lows and get by without blowing drivers . . . :( .

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1355195918' post='1895296']

Chances of the cab being able to use double watts is pretty slim too.
[/quote]
Where do you draw the line with your argument though? If your telling me to run my 9.2 at 8 ohms and 500 watts as it will make no difference will you tell the guy using a 6.2 to use an 8 ohm cab at 375 watts as it makes no difference, the guy with a shuttle 3.0 to use an 8 ohm cab etc until everyone has a 30 watt behringer combo :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1355200986' post='1895300']

Especially if it's a non-mega design . . . i.e. a regular cab not a fEARful or Big Twin etc.
Thankfully for most moderately loud applications you can lose a fair amount of the lows and get by without blowing drivers . . . :( .
[/quote]
Even sir alex of claber rates my neoxT 2x12 cab quite highly :o

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355221180' post='1895439']
Where do you draw the line with your argument though? If your telling me to run my 9.2 at 8 ohms and 500 watts as it will make no difference will you tell the guy using a 6.2 to use an 8 ohm cab at 375 watts as it makes no difference, the guy with a shuttle 3.0 to use an 8 ohm cab etc until everyone has a 30 watt behringer combo :lol:
[/quote]

I've jammed with drums with a 30w head. The issue with the combo would be the poor speaker, not the watt rating. The line is what you speakers can convert into sound, and its not unlikely a quarter to a half of the watt rating of the speakers.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355221180' post='1895439']
Where do you draw the line with your argument though?
[/quote]

3dB difference is a fairly standard place to draw the line, and is IME sensible for live use.
You can hear a difference of a lot less than this in a very well-balanced mix though.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355221275' post='1895442']
Even sir alex of claber rates my neoxT 2x12 cab quite highly :o
[/quote]

Well Sir Alex of Claber is probably right. . . as the neoxT 212 is a beast of a thing, with a very roughly similar design to a super 12T from his line IIRC.
That said either of those 212's won't compete in the lows with a cab designed with that in mind - like a big twin or 1212/6 fEARful type cab.
The more conventional cabs need less watts to get as loud as I understand it. . . but can't go as low & loud. I would call the neoxT 212 and other 'Super' designs a great compromise . . . not a 'mega' Hi-Fi cab but still with great performance and serious power handling . . . perfect for a lot of us. I have half of a super 15 - a compact B) - very nice.

If there's a gig where a Trace 1048 isn't capable of moving enough air to be loud enough, I don't want to go.
That's far too loud for my old ears.

Similarly, I don't have any doubts whatsoever that the 150 watts of my old Trace AH150 into my 1x15" and my 2x10" cabs will move enough air to get me into serious volume trouble should I choose to. Which I don't.

Mr Foxen is right.