Why become a member? ×

Bass storage question. Necks

Jimryan

Morning all,

Been thinking of a few things this morning, One being about bass storage.

If I stored a bass with the neck off, would the neck be ok? I'd like to think it would as there would no longer be any tension on it, or would the lack of tension and stress do more harm than good?

Cheers,

James

You need to slacken the truss rod if you take the strings off more more than a week or so or you risk warping it. The instrument is designed to have tuned strings on, there is absolutely no need to store them any other way. Tune it, clean it, put it in a case in a place with fairly stable and humidity.

Why are you taking the necks off for storage?

Well, I'm not yet.

I'm on my little quest to get everything (bar the cab) gear wise to fit in one case. My bass, head, leads, strap, tuner and tools all fit in it a the moment and I'm happy with that. Lately though, I've started to miss being fretless. I wouldn't de-fret my bass, but was thinking of de-fretting a spare jazz neck so I could change it if I wished to do so. From there I would get a case that could accommodate the whole lot including the "spare" neck.

Was just a thought really. Don't want a second bass, I'm happy with just one and the one case that holds everything and thought maybe the spare neck idea might work. Changing them isn't that hard a task and gives me a bit more variety to an already versatile instrument.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1355145069' post='1894539']
Well, I'm not yet.

I'm on my little quest to get everything (bar the cab) gear wise to fit in one case. My bass, head, leads, strap, tuner and tools all fit in it a the moment and I'm happy with that. Lately though, I've started to miss being fretless. I wouldn't de-fret my bass, but was thinking of de-fretting a spare jazz neck so I could change it if I wished to do so. From there I would get a case that could accommodate the whole lot including the "spare" neck.

Was just a thought really. Don't want a second bass, I'm happy with just one and the one case that holds everything and thought maybe the spare neck idea might work. Changing them isn't that hard a task and gives me a bit more variety to an already versatile instrument.
[/quote]

Fair enough.

Loosen the truss rod for long term storage.

I would say that that sounds like a massive pain in the arse.

So, you'll need to have two sets of strings all the time (rounds and flats) which you'll need to change over everytime. You'll need to adjust the truss everytime due to differences in tension between flats and rounds. You'll need to leave the instrument alone for a few days everytime in order to let the neck settle before doing a complete set-up and you'll need to keep fiddling with the bridge all the time.

Also, a good bass might not necessarily be a good fretless.

Truckstop