Why become a member? ×

Is this bass really worth £1500

Lee Carter

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355320613' post='1896878']
................(though to be a pedant this isn't a '57ri)
[/quote]

Actually, it is, albeit rare finish. Original blonde/maple/gold '57's are exceptionally rare. I've only seen 2, and this is the second;

[url="http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-precision-bass-1957-see-through-blonde"]http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-precision-bass-1957-see-through-blonde[/url]

Fullerton, in '82, made the; 3-tone '62 reissue P, 2-tone '57 reissue P, blonde '57 P, and, starting in December '82, the stack knob Jazz, in 3-tone. Lots of other finishes followed later.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1355333701' post='1897123']
I don't think the saying 'its worth what someone will pay for it' applies to a quality instrument. Its worth whatever the seller WANTS it to be worth, and if people can't stretch to it, they don't get it! Simple as.
[/quote]

Also true, especially applies the rarer things get.

My '82 Fullerton '57 RI was the lightest Precision I've owned by a country mile, and also had the longest sustain of em all. Playability was also outstanding as was build quality and finish, and the neck was the perfect shape for me. Sounded amazing with rounds but didn't do all that well with flats for some reason so I moved it on (in fact it was a surprisingly contemporary and bright sounding instrument). Given this is a rare finish I don't think £1500 is all that unreasonable?

1982 was the first year of the Vintage Re issues that Bill Schultz and Dan Smith introduced at Fender to try and get the factory back on track , and repairing all the damage the CBS management had done .
Its a 30 year old bass with a nitro finish , so the woods have had time to breath .
I have a black 57 Re issue from the early 80's and its the best Precision I own . I would not sell mine for £1500 , I would much rather keep it .